Fitting direction indicators ..

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
Taid

Re: Fitting direction indicators ..

Post by Taid »

Mick D wrote: Tosh :o

Wires are designed as multi core with the intention of being able to be routed around corners, once in place they experience no stress unless they move, which in this case they won't. I think you're over thinking this.

Regards Mick

Never been too good at explaining my thoughts ... Not so much over thinking as understating what I see as the problem .. due to the restricted area, the bends will be tight (particularly inside the bars), forcing the wire hard against the lips of the hole .. outside, to a degree, can be rounded off/countersunk, but inside it will be very difficult to remove the sharp edge left by the drill, which would easily wear through the insulation of the wire.
___

Now sold ... 1956 AJS 16MS Bitsa .. HSU 414 .. rebuilt/re-registered 1987
Dave T_LAPSED

Post by Dave T_LAPSED »

Once fixed externally to the bar the wire won't move relative to it, ergo, no wear. Belt and braces a grommit or some tape round wire at the entry hole or a squirt of silly con sealant in the hole to seal and hold the wire. Sorted.
Have fun, Dave.
spookefoote1956

Post by spookefoote1956 »

I always use hand signals. One finger or two? :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Hail Joe Lucas ............ Prince of Darkness!
All my bikes are original........ to me!
"Creativity is your intelligence having fun" Albert Einstein
Taid

Post by Taid »

spookefoote1956 wrote:I always use hand signals. One finger or two? :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I try to avoid upsetting people .. especially when on a bike (push or motor) ......
___

Reynard24

Post by Reynard24 »

Taid wrote:
Reynard24 wrote: The handlebar on my dad's 1955 bike has all these holes ..............................:
Your dad and I must have been riding at the same time then (if he had it from new ) ..
Yes, he bought it (G80S) new from Hallens in St Ives (Hunts) and rode it until ill health forced him to stop in his late sixties. He never learned to drive a car and the bike was used in all weathers - hence the minor spills. My brother and I now share it.
Taid

Post by Taid »

Reynard24 wrote:
Taid wrote:
Reynard24 wrote: The handlebar on my dad's 1955 bike has all these holes ..............................:
Your dad and I must have been riding at the same time then (if he had it from new ) ..
Yes, he bought it (G80S) new from Hallens in St Ives (Hunts) and rode it until ill health forced him to stop in his late sixties. He never learned to drive a car and the bike was used in all weathers - hence the minor spills. My brother and I now share it.
A family heirloom then ,, I don't actually know what happened to mine .. I was in the RAF and was posted to Germany in 56 .. I didn't take it with me, so I suppose I must have left it at home and asked mum and dad to sell it for me .. in 58 I bought a Vincent Comet

Always had an affection for the bike, that's why I've just acquired the one I have now .. (can't afford a Comet now ....

enjoy your dad's old steed ..

oops .. getting way off topic ..
___

spookefoote1956

Post by spookefoote1956 »

Taid wrote:
spookefoote1956 wrote:I always use hand signals. One finger or two? :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I try to avoid upsetting people .. especially when on a bike (push or motor) ......
Easy tiger. It was a joke.
Hail Joe Lucas ............ Prince of Darkness!
All my bikes are original........ to me!
"Creativity is your intelligence having fun" Albert Einstein
Taid

Post by Taid »

spookefoote1956 wrote:
Taid wrote:

Easy tiger. It was a joke.

So was Mine ....

PS .. I've only ridden a motorbike about a mile in the last 57 years or so ..
___

Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Taid wrote:but inside it will be very difficult to remove the sharp edge left by the drill
Hi

It's not as easy as the outside surface but it's not difficult - I've just done it to my current restoration.

My holes are 9mm in diameter which is plenty large enough for them to be de-burred with a half round or round needle file.

Regards Mick
Taid

Post by Taid »

Mick D wrote:
Taid wrote:but inside it will be very difficult to remove the sharp edge left by the drill
Hi

It's not as easy as the outside surface but it's not difficult - I've just done it to my current restoration.

My holes are 9mm in diameter which is plenty large enough for them to be de-burred with a half round or round needle file.

Regards Mick
9mm .. that makes a difference .. I was bothered about going above 5 or 6 .. I bow to experience .. thanks MD
___