Rear brake back plate - chrome cover

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
gotoole

Rear brake back plate - chrome cover

Post by gotoole »

I am about to fit the chrome cover to my repainted, rear brake back plate. 1960 H/W. The chrome plate is riveted to the back plate.
However I have two questions before I start 9 and make a mess!)
First , is there a special tool to insert the rivet or do I just flatten with a punch?
Second. A little water/dirt had managed to get between the back plate and the old chrome cover. Do I need an adhesive or sealer between them?
Greybeard

Re: Rear brake back plate - chrome cover

Post by Greybeard »

Just flatten the end gently on the inside of the back plate - domed head to the outside. Ive never used any sealants, just a wipe over with grease or ACF50 has been enough. Was the original fitted the right way round? Only ask because my M31's had been put on back to front ie with the lip facing outwards :roll: that would let water get behind it more easily. How it was missed I dont know. It looked totally wrong.

Steve
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

gotoole wrote: is there a special tool to insert the rivet or do I just flatten with a punch
Hi

Yes there is, it's called a dolly and is like a punch that conforms to the rivet head - in a not so ideal world you grip the dolly in a vice, balance the riveted assembly on top of it and spread the tail of the rivet with a hammer. If you don't use a dolly you will flatten the head as well as the tail.

It's easier to bond the cover to the back plate and the rivets in situ with epoxy - no one will ever know.

Regards Mick
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

A solid piece of Maple end grain on does the trick beautifully. Holds the shape of the dome without flattening it and is strong enough to let the rivet be swaged inside the plate. I usually countersink the plate to allow the blind end more room to swage out for a better grip.
gotoole

Post by gotoole »

Thanks for all the helpful advice.

I can probable make a small dolly or get a piece of hard wood ( I assume teak would do if I can't find any maple) . The older plate was fitted correctly ok but there was still evidence of dirt and water between the plates.

thanks all for the advice