Convert dynamo from positive to negative earth ..

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
Taid

Re: Convert dynamo from positive to negative earth ..

Post by Taid »

SPRIDDLER wrote:Totally agree with that. My 'Hmm?' was to give it some thought as I know to my cost, having lost the use of my right arm and hand after being hit by a lorry nine years ago and can only ride now after fitting a dual clutch and brake lever unit. One needs all the safety stuff available when you're down to your last arm ;)
(The flimsy top brake cable was a temporary experimental one).
K-Lever on Marigold (640x480).jpg
Very busy left hand you have there S .. (lost in admiration) .. It was riding one handed, signalling to turn right, that made me decide I needed flashers, and knowing my grey pudding, I looked for a way to automate the cancelling .. that's where/when I came across the STS and their SBS ..

Ps .. how do you get the machine on the centre stand (or do you only use the prop?) .. It's taking me a while to knack back..
___

Now sold ... 1956 AJS 16MS Bitsa .. HSU 414 .. rebuilt/re-registered 1987
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

I only use the prop stand and have to make sure I can ride out from a parking place - often it means along a pavement (or on one occasion threading between diners at pavement café tables in Spain).
Riding's no problem; it's manoeuvring that's tricky as if I tried to push it one-handed I'd just go round in a circle. I do topple over now and again.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
bitza

Post by bitza »

DVR 2 REG. And I fitted a isolating switch in the positive side.
Taid

Post by Taid »

bitza wrote:DVR 2 REG. And I fitted a isolating switch in the positive side.

That's the way I'm going .. now got a surplus DVR2 Positive Earth version ..

Moral .. Plan twice .. Buy once ..
___

Taid

Post by Taid »

This thread seems to have got off topic quite a way ..

I have now fitted the electronic gubbins and changed the wiring to negative earth to accommodate it and as far as I can tell its self check works ..

Now I have to turn the dynamo to neg earth before I start the engine .. Flashing, though I have no doubt that it works, seems rather sledgehammer ..

Instead of slapping positive from the battery via a fuse, could one be more gentle and have a bulb in line which would limit the current but could be left connected for a while, even possibly connected to provide bias on the first start?
___

clive

Post by clive »

Stop worrying the sledge hammer works fine. Just brush the cable across the field terminal. So long as you just brush there is enough resistance in the field coil. Done it loads of times. Stick it into the field terminal for any length of time and you may burn the coil out.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
Taid

Post by Taid »

Thank you C.

I'll give it a go, maybe later today, and again in a few days, when , hopefully, I'll be ready to try starting the engine ..

There is no way, I suppose, of checking whether it has been successful ..

I've fitted a DVR2 negative earth controller .. any idea what would happen to it if the dynamo had remained positive earth? (OK, so I'm a pessimist :headbang: )
___