Ajs or matchless frame

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
willowbedone

Ajs or matchless frame

Post by willowbedone »

Help please how can I tell by frame number if it's an ajs or matchless frame .The bike has an 54 18s engine but the tank has matchless badges on it ?
ajscomboman

Re: Ajs or matchless frame

Post by ajscomboman »

Only by contacting the dating officer can you find out for certain what make/model the frame was used for.
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

(As Rob said just before me).....

In order to know which marque it was when it left the factory you need to use the club dating service.
Here:

http://www.jampot.com/Dating.asp
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
willowbedone

Post by willowbedone »

SPRIDDLER wrote:(As Rob said just before me).....

In order to know which marque it was when it left the factory you need to use the club dating service.
Here:

http://www.jampot.com/Dating.asp
Thanks Neville
willowbedone

Post by willowbedone »

What happens if it's an AJS engine with a Matchless frame .Will the dvla still issue a reg number and a v5c
:?:
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

The DVLA will consider it to be the marque according to the frame identification. In your case, if it's a Matchless frame it will always will be a Matchless, regardless of the engine marque, name on the tank etc.
I'm not completely up to date with the latest DVLA rules (some have changed and all local offices have been closed) so you really guidance from the club's Dating Officer to confirm but since it seems you don't have any docs at all I believe that they may require an inspection or photos. They will need the engine number for the V5c but are not interested in the fact that the number refers to an AJS engine.
The Dating Officer (Chairman Roy) is the authority for guidance.

Later edit:
If the bike doesn't have a V5c or the old buff logbook it will probably be considered a 'Reconstructed Vehicle' and you will need to apply for an age-related number.
There's some guidance here:

https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-registration ... c-vehicles

and in my earlier link to the club Dating Service - scroll down to para 3. 'How to obtain an age-related number'.
Last edited by SPRIDDLER on Wed Nov 27, 2019 5:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
GOLDSTAR

Post by GOLDSTAR »

my 'bitsa' has a 1954 AJS springtwin frame, it houses a '56 G80cs engine, and is registered simply as an AJS 500cc the original springtwin engine no was on the V5 when I acquired it and I subsequently informed the DVLA of a change of engine number omitting the CS, absolutely no problems at the time, oh it carries Matchless badges on the tank.. kind regards
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

This is all based on factory dispatch records for a particular frame number have survived. So what happens if records for the frame number for your bike have not survived. The DVLA accept as factual, information from Glass Check books. Both marques shared the same frame number series. The year of manufacture is based on the frame number. The glass book will show it as an AJS or Matchless, twin or single. Take your pick. I have a 1955 G3/LS. I know it has a twin frame as it has the head steady on the front down tube. I have no idea what marque or model twin it started life as. It was already registered as a 55 Matchless G3/LS when I got it in 1986. Due to both marques sharing the same frame series, there must be far more AMC bitzas out there than any other motor cycle marque. The AMC bitza owner un aware his bike is a bitza, firmly believing his bike being 100% correct. I wonder how many proud owners of concourse winning bikes would not have won, had the judges referred to factory records when judging? How would they feel if they were told your 350 AJS looks good and 100% correct, but its a bitza, it used to be a 500 Matchless.
alanengineer

Post by alanengineer »

It just goes to show that you should get the bike identified with the dating officer as soon as you start your project. Saves a lot of tears later
willowbedone

Post by willowbedone »

Thanks for all the replies As useuall all sound advice .I've just purchased this project with a mate It's in trials trim with alloy wheel rims alloy tank and mostly all there.
We definitely will contact Roy as we need info to get the V5C for it as it came with no papers I'll try and get a few pictures of it on here soon
Ian