AJS 16 1959 (350cc)

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
Peter Duffield

AJS 16 1959 (350cc)

Post by Peter Duffield »

I am a new member and first time with a classic. I received the bike yesterday and I started it with little help from the seller. Today I can't get it started. Any tips on the correct procedure please. Last time I kicked started a bike was 50 years ago!
Peter Parkin
clive

Re: AJS 16 1959 (350cc)

Post by clive »

I wrote this for another member with starting technique issues, it got him going. The points about timing, plug and carb are probably not relevant because the previous owner got it running.

Well having watched the video I have a number of suggestions. Firstly your starting technique looks like a twin one to me ie bring it up to compression and stamp on the kickstart. This makes for difficult if not impossible starting in my experience with a single. The valve lifter is there for a reason. My starting technique is to bring it up to compression. Allow the kickstart to return then using the valve lifter push the kickstart down about 2/3 of its travel. Allow it to return to the top and then give it the long swinging kick.
Next point if it has not started by three kicks i would flood the carb more. There is little point in my view in just kicking and kicking if it wont start you need to try something else. Having flooded it further if it does not start in a couple of kicks then its time to take the plug out. If it is not wet then there is something wrong if it is try to dry it off with a cloth and blowing on it. Make sure the plug sparks when against the cylinderhead, although that is not a guarantee it will do so under compression.
I have not kept up with all the advice but i would be looking at the following. Timing is it spot on 1/2 inch before tdc with the automatic advance held fully open. Do the points start opening when the two pushrods both have free rotation (ie on the correct tdc).
Are you using an ngk plug chuck it and fit a champion from a reputable dealer. Is the carb pilot jet and the little drilling clear of muck? Do you get a good fat spark with the plug against the cylinderhead?
Good luck you are nearly there.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
Peter Morris

Post by Peter Morris »

Welcome Peter,

Theres advice on starting on page 9 of this. Matchless, but same difference.

http://archives.jampot.dk/book/Owners_m ... Models.pdf

You'll soon get the hang of it.
Peter Duffield

Post by Peter Duffield »

clive wrote:I wrote this for another member with starting technique issues, it got him going. The points about timing, plug and carb are probably not relevant because the previous owner got it running.

Well having watched the video I have a number of suggestions. Firstly your starting technique looks like a twin one to me ie bring it up to compression and stamp on the kickstart. This makes for difficult if not impossible starting in my experience with a single. The valve lifter is there for a reason. My starting technique is to bring it up to compression. Allow the kickstart to return then using the valve lifter push the kickstart down about 2/3 of its travel. Allow it to return to the top and then give it the long swinging kick.
Next point if it has not started by three kicks i would flood the carb more. There is little point in my view in just kicking and kicking if it wont start you need to try something else. Having flooded it further if it does not start in a couple of kicks then its time to take the plug out. If it is not wet then there is something wrong if it is try to dry it off with a cloth and blowing on it. Make sure the plug sparks when against the cylinderhead, although that is not a guarantee it will do so under compression.
I have not kept up with all the advice but i would be looking at the following. Timing is it spot on 1/2 inch before tdc with the automatic advance held fully open. Do the points start opening when the two pushrods both have free rotation (ie on the correct tdc).
Are you using an ngk plug chuck it and fit a champion from a reputable dealer. Is the carb pilot jet and the little drilling clear of muck? Do you get a good fat spark with the plug against the cylinderhead?
Good luck you are nearly there.
Thanks Clive I will give it a go. I am away for a couple of weeks, will report back with success? Peter
Peter Duffield

Post by Peter Duffield »

Peter Morris wrote:Welcome Peter,

Theres advice on starting on page 9 of this. Matchless, but same difference.

http://archives.jampot.dk/book/Owners_m ... Models.pdf

You'll soon get the hang of it.
Good of you to respond. I have read the manual and will give it a go with Clive's suggestions. Will report with my success! Peter
alanengineer

Post by alanengineer »

How long has the bike been left before you tried to start it.If its more than a few weeks, try draining the oil out of the sump (top up the oil tank)and then starting it. They dont like being started full of oil.
MalcW

Post by MalcW »

alanengineer wrote:How long has the bike been left before you tried to start it.If its more than a few weeks, try draining the oil out of the sump (top up the oil tank)and then starting it. They dont like being started full of oil.
Do the singles wet sump much? Just curious. I know my twin does with its gear type oil pump, but I didn't think the singles with their plunger pumps are so bad?

Cheers,

Malcolm
clive

Post by clive »

MalcW wrote:
alanengineer wrote:How long has the bike been left before you tried to start it.If its more than a few weeks, try draining the oil out of the sump (top up the oil tank)and then starting it. They dont like being started full of oil.
Do the singles wet sump much? Just curious. I know my twin does with its gear type oil pump, but I didn't think the singles with their plunger pumps are so bad?

Cheers,

Malcolm
Depends on the wear. I have had one wet sump after 7 years standing and another after a mere 7 months!

if it has been standing for many months since the last start its worth just pulling some fine wet and dry paper between the points as they will oxidise if left open and it reduces the quality of the spark.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix