Steering Adjustment

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
Rosy

Re: Steering Adjustment

Post by Rosy »

Rosy wrote:Anyone know the difference between Part Nos 021748 and 021749? I need to try and establish if I have a mis matched pair. I can't just buy random yokes.
Ok I've just realised the the latter number is the clamp.
Rosy

Post by Rosy »

Rosy wrote:
Rosy wrote:Anyone know the difference between Part Nos 021748 and 021749? I need to try and establish if I have a mis matched pair. I can't just buy random yokes.
Ok I've just realised the the latter number is the clamp.
No, got that wrong as well. So back to my first question is there adifference between Part Nos 021748 and 021749?
McBob

Post by McBob »

021748 is the casting number and 021749 is the part number. As Poul says it is possible the crown is a later part and therefore mismatched with your lug.

below is from the workshop manual, I believe the additional 6 was omitted latter in the production of the duplex parts.

Steering angle. When the Duplex tube frame was intro-duced in 1960, a slight alteration to the steering angle was made to improve steering, also road holding. The parts affected are the fork crown and stem and the handlebar lug. Whilst the difference between the old and new parts is exceedingly small, it does affect interchange of the fork parts individually, viz., whilst both the new type handlebar lug with fork crown can be used on early models (with the exception of CSR models with siamesed exhaust pipes) as a pair, they cannot be used separately. As the new parts are virtually identical in appearance, they can be identified by the figure 6 stamped on each part
Rosy

Post by Rosy »

McBob,

Thank you for clearing that for me that all makes sense as to why my forks will not go together, I now have to try and locate a fork crown. Haven't got one have you?!! trying to get a match might prove to be difficult not knowing what the seller has if they look similar.
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi

I have an inch and a quarter bottom yoke but I am having difficulty in identifying it, can anyone suggest where I should be looking for either a casting or part number? All I can find with a quick clean is 'WHT' cast in and a 6 stamped into the upper machined surface of the RH stanchion orifice.

Regards Mick
Last edited by Mick D on Sun Mar 01, 2020 2:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
clive

Post by clive »

Getting dangerously near a telling off from Chief Superintendent of Adverts Police. May have been in NZ but i am back and on duty. Please move to the ADVERTS section of the forum or private message to take this further. Thanks.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Unintentionally guilty as charged - sorry :oops: :oops:

Will amend the post accordingly

Regards Mick
clive

Post by clive »

No problems Mick just flexing my muscles before the President starts on his tricks 😉
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

clive wrote:No problems Mick just flexing my muscles before the President starts on his tricks 😉
As if I'd mention my roll/on roll off centrestands here! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: