Steering Adjustment

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
Rosy

Steering Adjustment

Post by Rosy »

photo.JPG
Ive read through the steering adjustment in the manual, but if I take up the play in the headstock then the steering isn't free enough to turn side to side, if I gradually slacken the stem nut to free up the steering then I have play again. Any ideas?

I also have a gap from the bottom end of the headlamp bracket and the lower fork yoke both sides, is that normal? if not could this be the problem? It looks as though these forks have been rebuilt within the last couple of years, but with the amount of play in the headstock the bike must have been unrideable.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Steering Adjustment

Post by 1608 »

This can happen if there is the incorrect number of ball bearings in the head races. What sometimes happens, if the bearings have been checked or changed at sometime, is the temptation to squeeze an extra ball into the race ( believe me it does happen) there should be a small gap in the row of balls. Or one to have fallen out when the work was done. On the other hand it just might be wear.
cbranni

Post by cbranni »

The gap is similar to mine..................
[url]Image[/url

Regarding the free play I do as you, tighten until it stiffens then back off a tad and tighten lock nut, hope you don't have an odd oversize ball in there too many balls

Sorry I can't be of more help

Colin
only dead fish go with the flow
McBob

Post by McBob »

If assembly is correct - I found I had to remove the front wheel to obtain the correct adjustment, must be the weight of the wheel.

Under the aluminium spacer is a rubber ring, the gap is the same on my bike.
Dave T_LAPSED

Post by Dave T_LAPSED »

Being pessimistic, is everything correct in the headstock? Have you seen and checked the correct fitment of the races and the correct number and size of balls? Also that on reassembly an errant ball has not fallen inside the headstock? I had that happen once (on a different make of bike) and nothing fitted or adjusted properly, a true PITA, everything had to come off again! Zen and the art of motorcycle bodxx maintenance. :oops:
Rosy

Post by Rosy »

I've yet to strip the headstock apart, I'm collecting ideas as to know what to look for. I think that the stanchions may be stuck in the lower yoke thus not allowing the upper yoke not to pull down squarely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dave T_LAPSED

Post by Dave T_LAPSED »

I was too polite to ask if you had freed the stanchions in the lower yoke as you said you had read the instructions for the job. Obviously if they don't slide then the yokes are going to go out of parallel and cause allsorts of symptoms. Remove clamp bolts, tap in wedges (screwdrivers?) plenty of WD40, bit of gentle heat (don't strip the paint) and biff with a drift and a big 'ammer - but biff gently!

I always recommend a big hammer because you can lightly hit with it but you can't hardly hit with a little one!

Good luck.Dave.
Rosy

Post by Rosy »

Dave T wrote:I was too polite to ask if you had freed the stanchions in the lower yoke as you said you had read the instructions for the job. Obviously if they don't slide then the yokes are going to go out of parallel and cause allsorts of symptoms. Remove clamp bolts, tap in wedges (screwdrivers?) plenty of WD40, bit of gentle heat (don't strip the paint) and biff with a drift and a big 'ammer - but biff gently!

I always recommend a big hammer because you can lightly hit with it but you can't hardly hit with a little one!

Good luck.Dave.
Rather than use screw drivers or wedges which I know will mess up the paint work I intend to put the clamp bolts in from the back, then use metal inserts in the clamp gap then wind the bolts in just enough to spread the gap, this will if it works hold the gap open. Thats the theory, same as I intend to use a metre length of M10 thread bar inserted through the steering column (wheel & mudguard removed) resting on the floor with a nut and large washer up against the underside of the bottom yoke to hold it in place while I remove the top yoke to check bearings, then wind the M10 nut down to lower bottom yoke to check those bearings. Thats a week away yet, still getting over the Flu.

Post by 1608 »

Not wishing to point out the blooming obvious but, from memory I believe the top ( domed ) nut is, rather counter intuitively, the Lock nut.
I have found too many and not enough ball bearings on several bikes over the years. To do the job can sometimes require an extra pair of hands.
Dave T_LAPSED

Post by Dave T_LAPSED »

and a big bowl underneath to stop all the balls making a bid for freedom all over the garage floor :rofl: