Ammeter ?

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
ajscomboman

Ammeter ?

Post by ajscomboman »

Right all you electrical whizz kids, I suspect I have an ammeter issue on the G15. Solid state box replaced the zener set up, alternator leads checked on mutli meter and are fine, battery shows 13-13.5 volts going in and output to ammeter from regulator box indicates 12.9 - 13.5V to ammeter. Voltage at ammeter shows the same with lights off and the same with lights on rising to 13.5 when revs rise. However ammeter shows discharge with lights on even with rising voltage, lights are very bright all the time and don't rise and fall with revs. I realise volts are one thing and amps another hence the thread header, possible ammeter fault despite being Lucas and new???

I await with bated breath for some other trains of thought as I don't want to splash out on an ammeter only to have the same issues.
Mick D

Re: Ammeter ?

Post by Mick D »

Hi

Does the ammeter show positive with the lights off?

Regards Mick
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Probably a daft question Rob ? Have you rechecked polarity and wiring is correct. It can often be something simple that gets overlooked.
G15 Roy

Post by G15 Roy »

Simple take one off of your other ten bikes and try that. ;) ;)
Roy
Greybeard

Post by Greybeard »

If your battery is fully charged (at 13v or so it sounds like it is) the little pixies in the fancy box of tricks may not be letting any amps through to the battery to stop it being overcharged. Leave the bike with the lights on for an hour or two to run the battery down then try again. Just a thought :|

Steve (wot is left flummoxed by non-mechanical stuff)
G15 Roy

Post by G15 Roy »

Are you standing facing the bike or sitting on the seat. :lol:
Roy
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

G15 Roy wrote:Are you standing facing the bike or sitting on the seat. :lol:

Stupid boy, Pike!
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

I reckon Mick D has the answer there. Electrics all hocus pocus to me.

Johnny B
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

Until this bike I've never had an issue with electrics. Done the diode checks with the meter, checked the stator leads with the ohms setting all good. Fired the bike up checked the leads on alternating current good voltage from stator. Checked the magic box all good voltage. Ammeter never swings across to charge even with lights off despite 12.8 voltage on the meter. Lights on it deflects to discharge but on by 2-4 amps with everything ablaze, I'd have expected 6-8amp swing on full beam, brake light, 2 clock lights etc ablaze and voltage is still 12.8 -13v when revved.

Multi meter on the battery 12.9 -13 v when revved it goes up to 13.5 and a tadge over every now and then even with the lights on so it's getting a charge. It must surely be the ammeter methinks.
Greybeard

Post by Greybeard »

It sounds like the regulator is doing its job to me by maintaining voltage and balancing the load. As I suggested before, is your battery fully charged? If it is you dont want any more current squirting into it.

Steve