Ammeter ?

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
ajscomboman

Re: Ammeter ?

Post by ajscomboman »

I've given up Mick. I've bit the bullet and gone for a Podtronics regulator rectifier instead of the Wassell unit. I've traced the wiring with a meter through the whole bike. It all seems spot on. The ammeter when checked with a battery charger flicks both ways depending on connection, it's such a simple unit I can't see how it can work one way but not the other. The output from the alternator leads confirms that there is plenty of juice coming out from that area. A test headlamp bulb dims and brightens just like you'd expect to see it working via the regulator. The battery is new and has 13.5 volts in it and all lights are bright when motor isn't running.

I've had 4 bikes with this set up and all bar this one have been spot on, the only difference is the Wassell unit. The others have been a mix of Podtronics and A reg one boxes.
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

ajscomboman wrote:I've had 4 bikes with this set up and all bar this one have been spot on, the only difference is the Wassell unit. The others have been a mix of Podtronics and A reg one boxes.
How long did you have the Wassell kit before you fitted it?
I recall that the other ex-Hants, (now bi-sectional), ace AMC mechanic had trouble with his Wassell unit and unless my memory fails me there was a mistake in the wiring diagram. Thrifty Peter will remember so I'll check with him (hopefully he won't charge me).
Last edited by SPRIDDLER on Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

Only just got it Nev, I was aware of the wiring fault but that goes back a fair while now. I very rarely have electrical gremlins and when they do appear I can suss them out no problem, this little bugger has got me running around in circles. I haven't removed the primary as it's a total swine to do with swept back pipes and it's oil tight. That said, with the test results proving that it bangs out a bloody healthy charge to illuminate a 50w headlamp bulb and no short to earth I see no reason to open it up. I have 13+ volts going through the battery which is why I initially ruled out the box in favour for the ammeter. However testing via a charger etc that seems to be ok so I'm back to pointing a finger at the regulator box.
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

O.K. Rob. I wondered whether you'd had it on the shelf a while.
Agreed, if you're getting 13+ at the alternator there seems there's nothing to learned by opening up the primary.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
Expat

Post by Expat »

FWIW, when I first fitted indicators to my 1960 G3, the engine would misfire when they were used while riding. Long story short, the old ammeter was reducing 6 volt input to less than 5 volts on the output side. When incandescent bulb signals were switched on, the voltage dropped too far to run the coil I suppose.

Fitted new ammeter and problem went away. Even better now all led lamps fitted.

Btw, not caused by poor terminal contacts.

Steve
Keep shiny side up.

These are my principles, if you don’t like them, I have others. (Groucho Marx)
Groily

Post by Groily »

One additional thing you might try, Rob, is to get the thing running, then disconnect the battery and turn the lights on?
If all were well, the motor should keep running OK and the lights would brighten with revs, although they'd be a bit flickery at low rpm. It would tell you whether enough juice was actually being delivered to support loads. If the engine started to miss, or stopped, or the lights wouldn't brighten with revs, then you'd know the output was inadequate. (The ammeter would of course show nothing either way without the battery there.)
I've never bought one of the Wassell-supplied reg/rectifier jobbies so don't know how they compare - but the other makes you refer to have always been kind to me. The dynamo regulators W supply / supplied were, however, very indifferent compared to the offerings from Alan O, JG or the DVR items.
Good luck, Bill
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

After a good nights kip, once I've sorted the garden and got the daughters block pavers started on her drive I'll come back and go through the entire harness from scratch again along with the light switch, if nothing can be found I'm gonna wait till the Podtronics box arrives. I will get to the bottom of it though.
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

Final update, moto of the story is, just because someone restores a bike to top condition doesn't mean he knows bugger all about motorcycle electrics!!!!!!!!!!! It transpires that although I was getting a reading out from the mulitmeter it was only when the harness was in a certain position. I got so pissed off I stripped everything and found the harness to the switch had been, err, repaired! :rofl: Not sure by who or what age group but it was total shite! The switch plug and all the connections were cut back and remade, harness sleeved and reconnected, bingo! Everything lights up like a Xmas tree as before but this time the current actually flows through the ammeter. :beer: :beer:

I'll keep the podtronics unit just in case the Wassell one decides to go to sleep!
g80csp11

Post by g80csp11 »

Rob , time for a bit apology to Wassell , you should not jump to conclusions so easily
Most of the parts they sell are pretty good and in may the only option you have
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

g80csp11 wrote:Rob , time for a bit apology to Wassell , you should not jump to conclusions so easily
Most of the parts they sell are pretty good and in may the only option you have
Hmm, I think I'll wait a little longer before doing that. Whilst I agree in many cases there is not much option this item isn't one of them and for a while it didn't have a great reputation, maybe that's changed but only time will tell. For the moment though I will admit it's certainly doing exactly what it should.