6 volt to 12 volt

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
SPRIDDLER

Re: 6 volt to 12 volt

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Dave T wrote: They fitted these screws originally in a special press that tightened down on the bit so it couldn't slip out of contact then tightened the screw bloody tight!
Or if you have a pillar drill you can put a screwdriver bit in the chuck and with the dynamo strapped to the drill bed pull the chuck down whilst turning the screwdriver bit with a spanner.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
Groily

Post by Groily »

Another useful wheeze is to use two lengths (E3L) or one (short dynamo) of studding and nuts, screwed into the field coil pole piece (5/16ths BSF typically). I use lengths old G9 cylinder studs with a bit of extra thread put on the BSF end. You can then get some serious wind on things - small equal amounts obviously on 2 screw job - having warmed the field winding gently first to help it adapt to the contour needed.
When all is pulled tight, replace studs with the correct c/sunk screws. Added advantage - screw heads don't get so messed up - usually! (If you have had the dynamo body re-nickelled, a softish washer for protection of the finish round the hole can help.)

Or - you can make a simple jackscrew using a suitable block of metal that fits inside the dynamo yoke and forces the pole piece out when you unwind a stout bolt(s) or stud/nut(s) threaded into it. Tightening up the screw on the outside the while so it can't get away when you take the pressure off.

What is not advised is whacking with impact drivers etc, as it could deform the yoke. The 'wheeldriver' tool used in the day was a good thing somewhat reminiscent of an old fly-press - and a drill press replicates many of the advantages.

For removal of seriously mullered original screws, I haven't found a better way than a big centre drill in a drill press . . .
GOLDSTAR

Post by GOLDSTAR »

thanks very much Dave, Steve, Spridders, and Groily, how ya doing Bill, Long time no see maybe we can do the Luc rally once again in the future. kind regards
Groily

Post by Groily »

Doing OK Richard thanks. Enduring lockdown French style. (Second version of a bit of paper needed to go out anywhere, etc etc, came out a day or two ago - they love paper hereabouts) but haven't been asked to produce anything yet on rare forays to find food. Shelves not badly stocked, no obvious panic out here in the sticks. Van and car full of fuel with nowhere to go. Postal service pretty well non-existent at the moment - think there is a shut-down in our local POs because of the virus and need to deep clean the buildings here. I think the first case in this Department was some poor sod employed by la Poste, but not 100% sure.

Philosophically, recent events certainly highlight different approaches of anglo-saxon and continental societies, although much the same result will no doubt emerge everywhere. Most European countries became accustomed to being under the thumb of their governments at various points in the last 100 years, or a bit longer ago for France (if one discounts the Occupation), while we'd have to go back to Cromwell's Commonwealth probably to find anything similar. I think M Macron and probably some other European leaders were rather hoping the UK govt would apply more legal compulsion, as opposed to strong persuasion, as it would have made their approach look more acceptable in democratic countries, but so be it. They are far quicker to ban stuff and lecture / hector their people than the UK is, despite all the guff in their various constitutions about Rights and so on.
For all that, it is a shame that the government here can't actually control what goes on in the truly-lawless ghetto suburbs that have been created over a generation or more in Paris, but there you go. You probably see the odd snippet about those no-go areas in the Press from time to time - they are seriously troubled. I imagine gendarmes would need to go in by the hundred to demand bits of paper from some of the folk there who are out and about - but it's dead easy in rural areas to nab a guy nipping down to the baker without the right bit of tat in his pocket!

The more serious point arises if the disaffected, overcrowded, under-funded section of society gets too disgruntled under a regime that confines them to slum-quality accommodation with few diversions or services and decides to do its usual thing and burn a few cars, sling a few cobbles, etc; We really don't need that right now . . .

So that's how things look to me, sitting in sunny Normandie and trying to decide where to apply my limited energy on another sunny spring morn . . .

Not expecting much in the way of events to enjoy until much later in the year though. Local rallies almost for certain will be in the poubelle, and the Spring verison of the Vuelta a Cantabria in Spain that I have been doing this past few years has to be in serious doubt. All very dull.

Oh well! Onwards and Upwards, and sincerely hope all members are making out OK, in every country.
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

Great insight, thanks.

Johnny B
Greybeard

Post by Greybeard »

GOLDSTAR wrote:Thanks for this, one more question, did you have any difficulty removing the coil retaining screw? kind regards
Just as an add-on to this as it were. If you get a replacement field coil that is pre-shaped theres much less effort needed to nip up the screws. Still worth getting them tight though using the excellent methods described - I used some thread lock too. I may have been lucky with the field coil I got but it fitted snugly very easily with minimal effort.

Stay safe out there.If you need to go out at night, remember that the 2m distance is just a little further than you can see with a Bantam headlight :D

Steve (wots really wishing he hadnt decided to rub down and repaint the double width door of the garage :| )
GOLDSTAR

Post by GOLDSTAR »

You stay safe Groily, and the rest of you too, we were going to do the North of Spain rally this coming September won't know for some while I guess what will happen to this jolly, I organise the Velo day in Kent early May, in fact this year V.E day but that will be 'up the swanny' I 'spect. console yerself Bill with that lovely Normandy cider and plenty of Camembert [couldn't get the spelling correct had to look it up] oh my sigh!
kind regards
cbranni

Post by cbranni »

Fine words Bill, far better read than the crap book I am struggling with at the moment.

Stay healthy and stay safe.

Colin
only dead fish go with the flow