Installing fork legs

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
Beefheart

Installing fork legs

Post by Beefheart »

I am attempting to re install the forks on my G3 project without success. I can't grip enough of the stanchion and compress the spring enough to push right up to the top yoke. The manual is vague on the procedure. Is there a trick or am I missing something glaringly obvious?
dave16mct

Re: Installing fork legs

Post by dave16mct »

You need the fork tool. It's an old top nut fitted to some studding. The outside hexagon needs to be ground or turned off so it will fit into the stantion. Some washers and a nut completes the tool. Years ago some used to sharpen a broom handle but better to make a proper tool to make the job easy.
Dave.
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi

This is the type of thing Dave is talking about:
Fork Tool.png
This one came from AMC Classic Spares, there are also 'universal' ones available online if you have or may in the future have a selection of requirements.

Regards Mick
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post by 1608 »

Let the bike sit on the forks to help compress them or use ratchet straps on the yokes and around a long bolt/rod or axle through the fok bottoms and do both forks together.
Beefheart

Post by Beefheart »

Thanks for the replies chaps wish I had asked the question before I set off down the wrong path entirely. Hindsight is wonderful thing but I really should have done better, after all I made something similar to pull out and replace the swingarm bushes.
Colin
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

I made one just as MickD describes. Any Farmer's merchant will have the studding. I used an old socket instead of the heavy washer.

It's so straightforward once you have one.

Johnny B
Beefheart

Post by Beefheart »

All now in place, I found a piece of nylon bushing stock of the right size and cobbled up a puller and used a ratchet strap to help. One slid home easily the other was really tight despite cleaning everything and checking for burrs. On to the next stage, thanks again for your advice.