Seized Stud

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
Hillwalker

Seized Stud

Post by Hillwalker »

The other bike in the garage with my AJS Model 18s although of a foreign make makes a pleasant change of ride occasionally.
While stripping the exhaust system i have encountered a 8mm stud which refuses to unscrew from the aluminium cylinder head.
I have tried soaking in release oils and also immersed the stud in diesel for a few days as well as the two locking nuts method all to no avail.
Any ideas would be helpful as breaking the stud would mean an engine out job.Not a pleasant thought.
Many thanks for any suggestions.
les ward

Re: Seized Stud

Post by les ward »

Heat, as aluminium and steel expand at different temperatures. I use a hot air paint stripper. Then try with a stud extractor of a suitable size, with a ratchet drive.

Real care is needed. If the stud refuses to move, it may be god's way of telling you to leave the stud in place!
bitza

Post by bitza »

Yep heat the ally nice and hot, grip the stud, spray WD or similar while trying to turn the stud back and forth if it frees off OK , you can then unscrew it, it might need a few tries with the heat and spray.
Dave T_LAPSED

Post by Dave T_LAPSED »

Hi, first, how desperate are you, do you want to reuse the stud?(can't think why you would) If you have acess to a welder firstly, weld a nut on it (lots of heat there!) secondly , some more WD40, thirdly, two or three goodly smacks with a lumphammer to shock the threads once it's cooled enough not to swell. If it still won't come then you'll have to get nasty!
Hope it helps, actually hope you suceeded with the other methods, Dave

PS just a thought, I saw some guys on youtube removing rusted truck wheel nuts heating the stud cherry red then applying candle wax to the thread, maybe try that instead of the WD ?
Hillwalker

Post by Hillwalker »

Thanks to the three responders to my query.
I have tried the hot air gun without success.
Next step is more heat from a blowlamp and the candle grease method.
Wish me luck.
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Just curious

Why do you need to remove it - maybe a fix in-situ is possible.

Regards Mick
Hillwalker

Post by Hillwalker »

Hi Mick,
The stud is only about 25mm long after i was forced to cut the remainder off together with its rounded nut.
I guess i thought i was improving the possibility of its easier removal when that time arrived.
The old saying "if it aint broke don't fix it" comes to mind but i am where i am and i am still hoping to succeed.
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi

Do you know someone with a MIG or TIG welder? If so I'd weld a nut as close to the base of the stud as possible and spanner the stud out - if the stud has a plain portion it's better to drill out the nut so as it can sit closer to the base.

Don't forget to isolate the electronics first.

Regards Mick
bitza

Post by bitza »

Needs to be Effin hell that's Effin hot, the welded nut is a good idea l've used both methods.