Vacuum Carb Conversion to Gravity

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
spookefoote1956

Vacuum Carb Conversion to Gravity

Post by spookefoote1956 »

Project Kate is getting close to finishing now but there are still a couple of items I need some advice on. Mainly the carb. Obviously I'm now employing a gravity system and as can be seen from picture 1 there are two extra tube points. Do I blank them both off or connect a tube between the two or something else?
rps20200511_183111.jpg
Picture 2 shows what I think is a crankcase breather. Can a hose be led off like an oil release valve or blanked or something else?
rps20200511_183042.jpg
Cheers, Chris
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Hail Joe Lucas ............ Prince of Darkness!
All my bikes are original........ to me!
"Creativity is your intelligence having fun" Albert Einstein
SPRIDDLER

Re: Vacuum Carb Conversion to Gravity

Post by SPRIDDLER »

2020-05-11 Carb Mutchless 001 (640x425).jpg
On my Chinese Mutchless (with gravity feed) the left hand one is an open ended overflow that extends/discharges down under the frame and the right hand one goes to the front of an emissions thingummy. I'm not sure what it does except cause popping and banging on the overrun. Some folk just disconnect and blank off the carb emissions spigot to stop the popping and banging.
2020-05-11 Carb Mutchless 002 (640x425).jpg
Emissions thingy....
2020-05-11 Carb Mutchless 004 (640x425).jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
spookefoote1956

Post by spookefoote1956 »

I've got rid of the emissions thingy so I'll blank off the one on the manifold then trail a tube for t'other one next to the fuel line. I take it I'm OK just making a trailing tube for the crankcase breather?

Thanks Nev
Hail Joe Lucas ............ Prince of Darkness!
All my bikes are original........ to me!
"Creativity is your intelligence having fun" Albert Einstein
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

ISTR vaguely that on some engines the c/case breather is routed back into the carb intake.
I did once read on a Chinese bike forum instructions for removing the emissions thing and blanking bits off but haven't bothered. I think the emissions thing opens under closed throttle vacuum and lets air into the zorst, igniting any unburned fuel (hence the popping and banging).

TBH Spooky, IKBA about modern bikes. My new Honda kept dying on me in 34 deg in France so I glibly took the part fairing off and then just put it back on and took it to a dealer. I hadn't a clue what were all the hoses, wires, sensors and widgets. My 4 yr old Mutchless is just boring transport. I'm not a 'biker' and have no interest in it at all. All I do is put petrol in and have it serviced and MOT'd once a year.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'