G80 clutch hub binding. seal removal?

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
AyJayBee

Re: G80 clutch hub binding. seal removal?

Post by AyJayBee »

IMG_5070.JPG
I think , hopefully, that the problem has been resolved! Having removed the gearbox sprocket, I was able to compare the mainshafts on my 2 boxes. There seemed to be a spacer on the problem box where the shaft emerged from the g'box case.Can this be removed? No.Well if it won't come out will it go in? A gentle tap with a round punch and hammer seemed to show a slight movement ....Hmmmm! Then it became clear - it wasn't a spacer, it was the bearing which at some time had been replaced - I bought the box as reconditioned - but not fully pressed into the case. Gentle application of brute force resulted in the bearing moving to become flush with the casing - giving me more of the gear sleeve which now supported the chaincase oil seal. I have yet to reassemble everything, but hopefully matter resolved. Many thanks to everyone for support and advice.

Pics to show the two g'boxes, and the gear sleeve now supporting the oil seal and case.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi

The miscreant item in your photo is part number 040131 - spacer gearbox sprocket, which also functions as the inner part of the output bearing oil seal. They can/should be a little tight on the sleeve gear.
AMC Sprocket Spacer.png
Fiting the sprocket and tightening the nut would be a more 'sympathetic' way of seating the spacer ;)

Onwards and upwards :)

Regards Mick
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
AyJayBee

Post by AyJayBee »

The problems it has caused rule out any form of sympathetic response! I did only use a gentle approach - only a medium sized 'knocking stick'
AyJayBee

Post by AyJayBee »

Clutch body now turning smoothly - Eureka!