G80 clutch hub binding. seal removal?

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
AyJayBee

G80 clutch hub binding. seal removal?

Post by AyJayBee »

Further to the post of yesterday, I have tried a second hub with the same results. Both hubs have the stop shoulders intact on the splines. Looking at the sliding oil seal fitted to the chaincase, the central hole is a little mis-shapen and the seal plate quite loose - I think it may be coming between the hub and the gearbox shaft. Should it fit over the mainshaft and stay in position?How does one remove the seal without destroying it? If I can do that I can test for lock up.Your advice please, ta, AB
Mick D

Re: G80 clutch hub binding. seal removal?

Post by Mick D »

Hi

You can't remove the seal assembly without damaging it, it's spot welded in place.

I think you need to check your assembly sequence and content with the relevant parts list - nor maybe post a few photos.

Regards Mick

Post by 1608 »

The stop-ends on the hub splines can appear ok, but they do become compressed. The hub material is a lot softer than the shaft and in frustration of the centre nut coming loose people are inclined to over-tighten same. Having said all that I hope its not your problem as the replacement hubs are not cheap and its as well to replace the cush rubbers at the same time.
AyJayBee

Post by AyJayBee »

Thanks for the responses. I have stripped one of the cush drives, and fitted the centre to see if that helps. Also tried some pics
I am still sure it is the seal plate causing the problem - it is not lying flat and gets between the case and the rear of the clutch. Is this seal plate replaceable - I can't see any spot welds. What happens if I just remove it?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dave16mct

Post by dave16mct »

Will the seal not slide into position? It fits over the extension of the sleeve gear. You could remove it but you will have more oil leaking out of the back of the chaincase. You could make a new seal from 2 discs of leather, glued in place.
Dave.
AyJayBee

Post by AyJayBee »

Thanks for the reply Dave. the seal centre is too badly distorted to fit over the gearbox shaft and just keeps slipping between the casing and the clutch body, where there seems to be very little clearance. I think some from of replacement may be the only option unless the seal can be 'persuaded' with a metal object to allow its shape to be modified, but it looks like the two flat plates are also out of shape, thus decreasing the space availble between the assembly. Oh for a Red Hunter!
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi

Your sleeve gear doesn't look like it's protruding through the seal assembly far enough:
Chaincase Seal.png
Do you have the correct primary chain case and gearbox components installed?

If the seal assembly is just loose and falling during assembly try putting some Wellseal between it and the case to hold it in place.

Regards Mick
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
AyJayBee

Post by AyJayBee »

I did wonder about the length of the gearbox sleeve gear, but checked it against another gearbox and it seems the same. The cases are numbered in casting 024011 outer, and 024013 inner neither of which tally with part numbers for the alternator model. The gearbox serial number has am M suffix, but of course the casing could have been changed. I am at a slight loss ...... what could cause the sleeve gear to be too short? Any other possible reasons for the problem?
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi

My gearbox has an M prefix - don't really know if this is relevant. Do you have an AMC gearbox or has a PO slipped in a Burman?

Your inner case casting number is the same as mine.

If you don't put your bike model and year into the thread it helps if it is in your profile ;)

Regards Mick
AyJayBee

Post by AyJayBee »

The details re year/model were in the original posting re the problem, - 1961 G80 alternator model, AMC box. 3 spring clutch. The box has an M prefix, not suffix - apologies, obviously don't know my posterior from my funny bone!