Hairpin Valve Spring Types

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
Andy51

Hairpin Valve Spring Types

Post by Andy51 »

Hi, I have just bought a mixed bag of hairpin valve springs off Fleabay, claimed to be AJS/Matchless. I needed a set for my '54 18S which takes part nos 01692 and 01693. Included were 3 good sets of what I assume are the right ones, as they match the set currently fitted, with long lower 'legs' and 0.167 dia wire. So far, so good. The box also included:

2 sets with long 'legs' but 0.177 in wire, along with a number of spares shaped like part no 01692.
2 sets with short 'legs', 0.197 in wire.
5 sets medium 'legs', 0.203 in wire

What have I got here? I know the springs and part numbers changed over the years, but I am not aware of any details, such as wire thickness. I have what I want, but would like to identify these other sets so I can pass them on. Cheers, Andy
Rob Harknett

Re: Hairpin Valve Spring Types

Post by Rob Harknett »

There were many types of prewar hairpin springs. It does not seem like you have any of those.
dave16mct

Post by dave16mct »

CS models have thicker springs. Not sure what lightweights have, 3 coils?
Dave.
Andy51

Post by Andy51 »

Hi, thanks for your help. I did some more research and the singles 49-52 used shorter pronged hairpin springs - if anyone out there has one and could measure the wire diameter I would be very grateful. Andy
Invicta

Post by Invicta »

Andy51 wrote:Hi, thanks for your help. I did some more research and the singles 49-52 used shorter pronged hairpin springs - if anyone out there has one and could measure the wire diameter I would be very grateful. Andy
Hi Andy, I have just measured the spring diameter of the hairpin springs in my 1949 Model 18 and they are 0.170"