Heavyweight wiring routing

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
Chazzyb

Heavyweight wiring routing

Post by Chazzyb »

Ladies and gents, it's been a long time since I've been close-up and personal with a whole bike. Can anyone tell me where the wiring loom from the rear/brake light should pop out from underneath the mudguard? I'm about to roll my own smokeless wiring harness. :geek:

Obs, I know it goes through the guard behind the light/number plate assembly, but the other end?
Charles
Rob Harknett

Re: Heavyweight wiring routing

Post by Rob Harknett »

A wiring diagram will show where the wire goes via through the stoplight switch then at some point spliced into the horn wire I think. using a twin bullet connector.
Don't you have a manual for what bike you may have that shows this?
Chazzyb

Post by Chazzyb »

Rob, I've got any number of manuals, etc. None of them show the physical layout of the cabling. Lots of schematics, etc., of the wiring, but nothing that shows where the wiring initially goes under the mudguard where it travels along the left inside of it before going back through the hole with grommet behind the rear light/number plate assembly.

Ackshirley, I've just found a picture in Roy Bacon's book which clearly shows the wiring taped to the LH lifting handle and disappearing under the mudguard. I hope I can do better than that. ;)
Charles
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Don't forget a fuse Chazzy, or you'll need some of this ........
Smokekit2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
Chazzyb

Post by Chazzyb »

Neville, I fitted a fuse many years ago after I lost some smoke in the headlamp shell.
Charles
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi

You don't indicate a year or model for your bike, but on my 61 G3 I've routed it out from under the mudguard behind the toolbox and onward to the frame down tube.

Stop light switch goes along the swinging arm and up the down tube to meet.

Regards Mick
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

same on my 55 Mick. Wire to the rear lamp goes up and behind the guard all the way to the rear lamp. Also runs behind the guard where the grab handle is, not tape along the grab handle.
Chazzyb

Post by Chazzyb »

Mick D wrote: You don't indicate a year or model for your bike, but on my 61 G3 I've routed it out from under the mudguard behind the toolbox and onward to the frame down tube.
Sorry - '54 18S. Mine will exit the mudguard behind the tool box too.
Charles