G80 exhaust

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
AyJayBee

G80 exhaust

Post by AyJayBee »

Can anyone recommend a maker/supplier for an exhaust pipe to fit a 1961 G80 500 heavyweight single. I bought one from Armours which is a very poor fitting. Your suggestions appreciated, Thanks, Tony
cbranni

Re: G80 exhaust

Post by cbranni »

Hello Anthony,

You could try Feked they may be better, I usually buy from Armours and I normally have to fettle to get the fit to look right.

https://www.feked.com/ajs-matchless-exh ... 55-on.html

Kind regards Colin
only dead fish go with the flow
AyJayBee

Post by AyJayBee »

the Armours pipedoesn't fit well in the head and the silencer seems a mile away from the bike - a huge gap. also the end is just a normal open pipe - not sealed with holes along the length near the end
AyJayBee

Post by AyJayBee »

is it possible to alter the bend on an exhaust pipe without cutting it
Reynard24

Post by Reynard24 »

I doubt that you will find a capped and drilled pipe as supplied by the factory, I had mine welded up and then drilled holes to the original pattern. I believe that some suppliers offer a “pepper pot” device that can be fitted inside the pipe or maybe the silencer to knock down the noise.
I've found Armours pipes to be a good fit for most applications but if their pattern is not correct then the final offering won't be either. Loose fitting in the head could be due to the port being distorted but there is a post on here where the pipe was returned to armours and they replaced with a slightly larger bore pipe at no charge - have you tried contacting them?
If you want a bespoke pipe you could try Alldens in Market Rasen but I think that would be stainless steel and you'd probably need to take the bike to them. Other bespoke makers advertise in the comics.