Registering my bike with the DVLA

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
Big Ginge

Registering my bike with the DVLA

Post by Big Ginge »

I've just inherited my Dad's 1958 AJS Model 16s which hasn't been ridden since 1966 and been sat in the back of the garage since 1978! I've started to try to register it with the DVLA (got the old / original Registration book and tax disc) but come to fill in the V55/4 form and am struggling to find some of the information. Has anyone gone through this process recently and be able / willing to give me some help!!?? Thanks in advance.
Mick D

Re: Registering my bike with the DVLA

Post by Mick D »

Hi

The first thing you should check is the availability of your original registration - check here to ensure it is still available:

https://vehicleenquiry.service.gov.uk/

Which parts of the application are you struggling with?

You will probably need a Certificate of Authenticity, (dating certificate), from the Club - much cheaper if you are a member. Be aware that the certificate validity period with the DVLA is 12 months so bear that in mind when you apply for it.

You may need to have the bike authenticated by inspection - another function performed by the Club.

Joining the Club will save you more, in the registration process, than your membership fee ;)

Regards Mick
les ward

Post by les ward »

The V55 is the information that will appear on the V5C (logbook). A lot of it isn't relevant, so just fill in what you can and leave blank anything you can't answer. The form is designed for modern vehicles.
alanengineer

Post by alanengineer »

Have you checked the club website for information on how to register your bike yet .its a good start. Also, i understand that no home visits are being done at the moment through the club and DVLC are basically closed to this type of work. If you can, wait a bit.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Yes I guess there's no need to rush about registration unless you are in a hurry to ride the bike.
It would be a good idea to join our club. You would save money getting the bike registered, should you need dating proof etc.
You would also get all the advice you need here on the forum. ( Guests only have 90 days free use. )
The club stocks about £1/4 million worth of spares. Only for sale to members. You get the club magazine every month.
Visit your local club section. You will be amazed how many friends you will find. It is a life changing opportunity etc. etc.
dave16mct

Post by dave16mct »

Yes I agree with all Rob says, but there is no section in Cumbria at present. We have 3 members from Cumbria who come to our meetings (when we re-start!). One of them has a 1958 350. Obviously with the distance they come in a car, but they are regular attenders. :D
Dave.
Big Ginge

Post by Big Ginge »

Thanks everyone for your comments and advice. I had already joined the owners club and am looking to join the Lancashire meetings once they commence again (assuming I'm allowed to attend on a more modern bike until the AJS is up and running ;) ) I've also checked and the original registration hasn't been taken as yet (hence the push to get the bike registered under the original number)

I started work briefly on the form yesterday (between DIY projects) an have only managed to complete the real basics like make, model numbers, manufacturer (AMC?)

But I'm struggling as to where to find the rest of the information from - it felt wrong leaving so much blank! Thanks again everyone for the help and for making me feel welcomed into the club. Ben
dave16mct

Post by dave16mct »

No problem coming to the clubnights on a modern bike or car once we start up again. You might be better off giving the Dating Officer (Roy) a ring about the form and proceedure for registering your bike. Roy did a template for filling the form in if you do a search.
Dave.
dave16mct

Post by dave16mct »

Roy Bellett posted this a while back

To obtain a V55/5 ‘Application for a first tax disc and registration of a used motor vehicle' form you have to contact the DVLA Swansea. By telephone DVLA helpline 0300 700 6802 or order online at the directgov website http://www.directgov.gov.u

1 Question 1 ‘the registration mark' if Known.
2 Question 2 Taxation Class ‘Historic or Unlicensed'
3 Question 3 Leave blank
4 Question 4 Leave blank
5 Question 5 Manufacturer AMC
6 Question 6 Make ‘ AJS/ Matchless
7 Question 7 Model ‘Model of your machine e.g. G12, G2 G3 . M31 M20 16MS etc'
8 Question 8 Type of body/vehicle ‘motorcycle'
9 Question 9 Wheelplan ‘2 wheel'
10 Question 10 Colours ‘main tank colour e.g. Black, Red.Blue, etc'
11 Questions 11-26 ‘Leave blank'
12 Question 27 Year of manufacture ‘Only if you know it' use the dating certificate information
13 Question 28 and 29 ‘Leave blank'
14 Question 30 Type of fuel ‘Petrol'
15 Question 31 Vin/chassis/frame number ‘'The full frame number including prefixes and suffixes, take off machine not off the log book'
16 Question 32 Engine number ‘The full engine number including prefixes and suffixes, take off the machine and not off the log book'
17 Question 33 Cylinder Capacity ‘the cylinder capacity'
18 Questions 34 to 44 ‘Leave blank'
19 Question 45 Date of original registration ‘Only if you have a log book then take the date of first registration e.g. 23rd August 1950 would be 230850 otherwise leave blank'
20 Question 46 ‘Leave blank'
21 Question 47 ‘Leave blank'

Now turn form over

22 Question 48 Name and address of keeper ‘Fill in fully except DVLA fleet number''
23 Question 49 Date of birth ‘date of birth of keeper'
24 Questions 50 -53 ‘Leave blank'
25 Question 54 Mileage recorded on speedometer ‘Only if you want to in miles not kilometers' 26 Sign and date the form at bottom.

Confirmation of address and identification
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi

In addition to Roy's advice - the V55/5 can be downloaded from here:

https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... -time-v555

Where there are also instructions for it's completion

When I went through this process, (applying for the original registration), I had to have the bike authenticated by inspection - not sure what the current criteria are or when inspections will be re-started.

Regards Mick