Oil not returning

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
AyJayBee

Oil not returning

Post by AyJayBee »

Having finally got my 61 G80 together and running, after a minute or so we found a pool of oil under the bike. Oil was running out of the rear of the primary chain case where the alternator wires exit - and the engine was smoking like mad! Checking the tank found a tiny trickle of oil returning to the tank, and this stopped completely. It would seem that the pump is feeding the crank, but it is not being pumped back to the tank .......over a good half pint of oil draining from the engine when the drain plug was removed. Is there any way of testing the pump?
Thanks, Tony
Mick D

Re: Oil not returning

Post by Mick D »

Hi

Sounds like you have a blockage in the return line - the sump pick up possibly. Do you have a compressor to blow through the oilways? (It's not a solution but an aid to diagnosis).

Regards Mick
raffles

Post by raffles »

Is it possible that you have the oil pipes the wrong way round,or even the oil pumps?
Tony
raffles

Post by raffles »

Soory scrub the oil pump bit I miss read the model
Tony
AyJayBee

Post by AyJayBee »

Mick, I was wondering about blowing through the oilways - can you tell me what and where please? poss removing the 3 screws by the oil pump plunger? Don't want to strip the engine if I can help it
Thanks, Tony (AyJayBee)
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi Tony

I think this thread has all the info you need in it:

http://www.jampot.com/forum/viewtopic.p ... +returning

I know it's painful to have to consider stripping the engine but even if you clear a blockage how are you assured it won't block again later if you don't physically remove the debris from the engine?

Regards Mick
AyJayBee

Post by AyJayBee »

Thanks Mick for the info. Am I correct in thinking the end of the pump nearest the oil pipe connections is the scavenge side? If I remove the small screw which blanks off an oilway, can I try to clear the oilway or do I need to remove the pump? With hindsight we did have to retap the drain plug hole before rebuilding the engine and were very careful re cleaning the case and blowing out the oilway, but Sod's Law says....... If I can check the oilway, then at least I will know what I am looking for if the engine has to be stripped - Joy of Joys! Oh for a simple Two Stroke Engine! But at least I know that the 'basket case' bought about twenty years ago does run now that all the missing parts have been found and assembled, it should be fairly straightforward to dismantle and reassemble - carefully!