new to this

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
Tubbsy

new to this

Post by Tubbsy »

Hi all,
I am new here, also new to old British bikes.
Very recently acquired a 1961 AJS 350cc model 16 in very good condition, although it has been standing in dry storage for quite sometime.
My reason for posting
I need to get it running but don't have a clue where to start!
if any of you good people are mechanically minded (which I'm sure most of you are) & local to Greenwich SE London would it be possible
to pop over and offer me guidance.

if not against forum rules beer tokens could be offered if required...
SPRIDDLER

Re: new to this

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Tubbsy wrote: I need to get it running but don't have a clue where to start!.
Welcome, Adam.
The best place to start is with the Owners Manual which you can find here under 'Books'.

http://archives.jampot.dk/

This one is for a '60 Matchless but the same applies to your '61 Ajay.
You may find a better copy if you browse.
http://archives.jampot.dk/book/Owners_m ... models.pdf

It's possible that someone who is local will help since as it hasn't run for some time it will be sensible to do some basic checks before you knacker your knee trying to start it..
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
G15 Roy

Post by G15 Roy »

If not for these strang times a visit to the Kent section would be the way to go. So I would say send the Kent section a message to see if they can help they all like Beer 👍
Roy
Invicta

Post by Invicta »

Hi Tubbsy . If the bike has been standing a long time the carb will probably be full of old gummed up petrol deposits. You may be lucky and the previous owner drained the carb when the bike went into storage. First thing to check, is there oil in the tank. Second does the engine turn over. Third is there a spark on the plug. If there is any old fuel left in the tank dispose of it and put in fresh fuel. If the bike has coil ignition the battery will probably have died some time ago. To check for a spark remove the plug reconnect the HT lead and lay the plug on the cylinder head give the kick start a good prod and see if there is a spark on the end of the plug. I have known bikes that have been left in storage for years come to life with nothing more than fresh petrol. You may be lucky. Of course just getting it to run is only the first thing. You will want to change the oil and carry out a lot more checks before you actually ride the bike.This is where an owners manual is invaluable. They are available to download on line for free if you go to the right places . If you do have a spark after opening the fuel tap depress the plunger on the top of the left side of the carburetor until petrol comes out , close the choke if fitted and give the kickstart a good swing or two or three. If it does not fire up then the detective work starts. Good luck
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi

I think Invicta forgot to advise you to drain the sump - if the bike has been left standing for a long period any oil in the tank will probably have made it's way past the oil pump and into the sump. Drain the sump, re-establish the correct level in the oil tank before attempting to start or turn the engine.

Regards Mick