Tank knee grip rubbers

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
Invicta

Tank knee grip rubbers

Post by Invicta »

I have bought new tank knee grip rubbers from feked along with new backing plates. for my 1949 model 18. The bend on the backing plates was nothing like that of the originals and the rubbers did not fit to the sides of the tank at all and looked awful. I then bought another pair of backing plates from AMC Classic Spares. These had more of a bend in them but still nothing like that of the original backing plates., yet when held against the side of the tank they do seem to follow the curve on the side of the tank. Even using the original backing plates with the new rubbers there is still a big gap along the top. I am beginning to think that it is the new rubbers that are at fault. I did not get any originals with the two basket cases so I have nothing to compare them with. My question is this . Has anyone managed to source any knee grip rubbers that actually fit closely against their tank? AMC Classic Spares have some for about £60 per pair. The club spares has them for a third of that. Has anyone found that either of these actually fit. I am using the correct spacers under the baking plates. Am I being too picky and expecting too much , or did the original rubbers actually fit when the bikes left the factory?. Any helpful suggestions will be very welcome.
Mick D

Re: Tank knee grip rubbers

Post by Mick D »

Hi

When I was restoring my G3 I quizzed Steve at AMC Classic over the large difference in price of the rubbers he was supplying, he informed me that the, then £56 pair, were the type that offered the best fit and appearance - I took his advice, bit the bullet and bought the expensive pair, they fit perfectly with no gaps.

I refurbished my original mounting plates and have chrome trims fitted to the tank as per the 1961 option.
Tank Rubber.png
Regards Mick
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Group Leader

Post by Group Leader »

I too had this problem having bought "cheap" pads off of Ebay originally (at ~£12/pair) and they didn't fit and barely stayed on. After a lot of faffing about trying to mould the essentially flat pads to the compound curves of the tank and of course failing miserably.

Eventually I came across the giant stand of "The Rubber Man" at Stafford (I think it was) and paid around £55 for a pair which were far superior and are on the bike now. The essential difference was that the expensive ones were moulded to the approximate compound shape of the tank and not flat. Once again, you get what you pay for.

If anyone needs any knee grips for a flat surface (cupboard, sideboard, wheelie bin etc) I'm your man and I can supply a pair for a very reasonable price. PM me if interested or desperate .......

P.S. Sorry Clive, hope this doesn't constitute an advert :rofl:

Alan
1953 AJS 16MS, 1939 BSA 250 and a 1/3 scale Sopwith Triplane but that's another story ..... :lol:
Invicta

Post by Invicta »

Thank you for the advice gents. I tried to order some from Steve at AMC Classic Spares, but he is currently out of stock. Hopefully he will be getting some more in in a few weeks time. The extra cost will be worth it to have something that fits. Those made in India are molded flat and will never fit. I now have two sets of rubbers and four and a half sets of backing plates. So Alan if you do find a market for knee grips on a flat surface let me know.
David
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Invicta wrote: So Alan if you do find a market for knee grips on a flat surface let me know.
You could try putting an ad in the Welsh edition of 'Farmers Weekly'.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
cbranni

Post by cbranni »

'Oi !!!!!!!!!!!!!! mae gafaelion pen-glin yn mynd gyda'r esgidiau glaw :D :D :D

Knee grips go with the wellies
only dead fish go with the flow
Matchbox Kid

Post by Matchbox Kid »

Invicta wrote:Thank you for the advice gents. I tried to order some from Steve at AMC Classic Spares, but he is currently out of stock. Hopefully he will be getting some more in in a few weeks time. The extra cost will be worth it to have something that fits. Those made in India are molded flat and will never fit. I now have two sets of rubbers and four and a half sets of backing plates. So Alan if you do find a market for knee grips on a flat surface let me know.
David
I have the knee grip plates from AMC classic and my old and gently refurbished original rubber pads and they are a lovely fit, it's the pads not the plates

Paul