Centre stand top hat bushes?

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
Chazzyb

Centre stand top hat bushes?

Post by Chazzyb »

'54 heavyweight frame - do the top hat bushes for the centre stand pivot fit from the inside or outside of the stand? :headbang:
Charles
Mick D

Re: Centre stand top hat bushes?

Post by Mick D »

Hi

From the inside - otherwise the spacer will rattle about ;)

Regards Mick
Chazzyb

Post by Chazzyb »

Ah! So are there any spacers on the outside of the stand, between it and the frame?

And any tips on how to safely jack and support a bike so the stand can be removed and refitted?
Charles
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

I've only had to remove/replace my stand a couple of times and I lay the bike on its side on an old mattress.
Refitting it can be a challenge but this trick makes it a lot easier:
http://www.jampot.com/article_read.asp?id=191
I use a piece of rigid plastic water pipe.

Mick D's method (below) is probably fine for those who are patient and proper engineers. ;)
I don't see any washers in the spares list either.
See page 32 here:
http://archives.jampot.dk/book/Spares_l ... s_List.pdf
Last edited by SPRIDDLER on Sat Sep 26, 2020 11:27 am, edited 4 times in total.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi

Don't see any spacers between the stand and the rails according to the parts list.

Easiest way is to lay the bike down onto soft cushions or similar - make sure the fuel tank is fairly empty.

I reduced the length of the spring tang where it attaches to the engine plate to make it easier to install. With the spring located in the engine plate and the stand fitted I could pull the long tang through the stand and locate it against the cross bar - didn't need to faff around with wire jubilee clips or tubes :)

Regards Mick
Chazzyb

Post by Chazzyb »

Mick D wrote:Hi

Don't see any spacers between the stand and the rails according to the parts list.
I think I have identified them - 010912 spigot washer x 2. The parts which weren't on my bike when I took it to pieces all those years ago.

An old mattress? Any old mattress we may have had went to the dump a long time ago! I guess Sprids may keep one in his shed for when he stumbles home from the pub and can't get the key into the front door. :lol:
Charles
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Chazzyb wrote: An old mattress? Any old mattress we may have had went to the dump a long time ago!
Mine's a thin one from an old campervan. More like a thick camping mat.
I guess Sprids may keep one in his shed for when he stumbles home from the pub and can't get the key into the front door. :lol:
Hmm, well I did once come home in the early hours a bit wobbly from a serious 'lock in' at my local, opened the porch door, called my (black) dog, took the lead off the hook and wandered around in pitch dark over fields backing onto my house for about 20 minutes. Upon returning I opened the porch door to find a very puzzled dog in there.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi

I think the spigot washers fit between the centre stand spindle nuts and the frame rails.

Regards Mick
Chazzyb

Post by Chazzyb »

Mick D wrote:Hi

I think the spigot washers fit between the centre stand spindle nuts and the frame rails.
I think you're right after reading a comment in Steven Surbey's parts list.

I'm still wondering what stops the stand from sliding side to side between the frame rails?
Charles
dave16mct

Post by dave16mct »

Theres something wrong if it will move side to side. The stand should be the same size as the inside of the rails, minus a bit for clearance. The spigot washers go on the outside. The central spacer is 4.2" long.
Dave.