centre stand

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
onlyjohn

centre stand

Post by onlyjohn »

Hello all, I'm new here and new to Matchless. I have a 55 G3LS.
I have had immense difficulty putting the bike on the stand in the conventional manner. I have been told that the correct approach is to lower the stand to the ground, leave it there, then move to the rear of the machine and pull up and back on the two handles at the rear. This seems logical except for the stand returning upwards when I take my foot off it. It appears to have the correct type of spring on it and I have tightened the pivot shaft nuts in search of some desirable friction, but to no avail. All advice will be gratefully received.
PS it is also a bitch to roll forward off the stand, it sits low with both tyres grounded.
Group Leader

Re: centre stand

Post by Group Leader »

Welcome!

Not certain about going round the back and using both handles.

See this thread, it works for me!

http://www.jampot.com/forum/viewtopic.p ... nd#p175955

Alan
1953 AJS 16MS, 1939 BSA 250 and a 1/3 scale Sopwith Triplane but that's another story ..... :lol:
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Welcome to the club and forums, John
The method you mentioned is principally for the rigid framed bikes with a rear stand hinged at the rear wheel axle. As here:
100_1337 (640x480).jpg
On your sprung frame bike it isn't necessary to create friction to cause the stand to stay down. The centre stand is designed to spring back up.
There are several ways to make it easier, all similar to that mentioned in Alan's post above.
Over time stands become distorted and its components wear allowing the bike to override/go beyond the designed position when down making the bike settle on the stand rather lower making it a struggle to move it forward and off the stand.
The principle is to lift as well as pull back.
There are many posts on centre stand issues if you search using the magnifying glass at the top right of the page.........
Search icon.JPG
When out I use the side stand but in the shed a ramp makes it easier to put it onto the centre stand........
Shed ramp 2 (640x480).jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
onlyjohn

Post by onlyjohn »

Group Leader wrote:Welcome!

Not certain about going round the back and using both handles.

See this thread, it works for me!

http://www.jampot.com/forum/viewtopic.p ... nd#p175955

Alan
Thanks for that Alan, I tried it and it works, but though I'm not feeble [yet] it aint easy!
Do you know if the centre stand and the sidestand are mild steel or cast, as I would like to weld an 'arm' onto both?
onlyjohn

Post by onlyjohn »

SPRIDDLER wrote:Welcome to the club and forums, John
The method you mentioned is principally for the rigid framed bikes with a rear stand hinged at the rear wheel axle. As here:
100_1337 (640x480).jpg
On your sprung frame bike it isn't necessary to create friction to cause the stand to stay down. The centre stand is designed to spring back up.
There are several ways to make it easier, all similar to that mentioned in Alan's post above.
Over time stands become distorted and its components wear allowing the bike to override/go beyond the designed position when down making the bike settle on the stand rather lower making it a struggle to move it forward and off the stand.
The principle is to lift as well as pull back.
There are many posts on centre stand issues if you search using the magnifying glass at the top right of the page.........
Search icon.JPG
When out I use the side stand but in the shed a ramp makes it easier to put it onto the centre stand........
Shed ramp 2 (640x480).jpg
Thanks Spriddler.
Having thought about it I think that some weld on the frame could prevent it from sitting too far 'over centre'.
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi

Both the centre and side stands are cast steel, they can be bent cold, but preferably hot, and can be welded / brazed.

Regards Mick
onlyjohn

Post by onlyjohn »

Mick D wrote:Hi

Both the centre and side stands are cast steel, they can be bent cold, but preferably hot, and can be welded / brazed.

Regards Mick
Thanks Mick.

I'm only a hobby welder, not a pro. Will any welder suffice? I am using a mig.
thanks
John
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi

MIG will be fine with normal steel wire.

Regards Mick
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

I fitted a tang to my side stand made from a long bolt and a nut each side of the plate, cut off the bolt head then took it to a pal for a spot of weld.
Prop stand 2016-04-20 002 (480x360).jpg
A complete Swift Easy Lift stand is available from club spares...

http://www.amoc-parts.com/store/comersu ... duct=23059
Swift Easy Lift.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
Duncan

Post by Duncan »

SPRIDDLER wrote:A complete Swift Easy Lift stand is available from club spares...
Different stands Neville, I am worried that we haven't heard from Rob S yet, is he okay?

On the original stands a small amount of weld on the "hammer head" at the top of the stand will make up for wear,