Rear stand for ajs 18 1949

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
richard

Rear stand for ajs 18 1949

Post by richard »

Hi There does any one know where i can get a rear stand for my 1949 500cc model 18 A J S. The one that is on at the moment is out of true and bike leans to one side when on the stand.Many thanks .Richard.
SPRIDDLER

Re: Rear stand for ajs 18 1949

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Welcome to the Forums, Richard.

I don't know of any new ones being available and I would think that anything second hand is also likely be out of true.
Why can't you correct the one you have?
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Hi Richard, they are available from a well known auction site but I do not know what the quality is like, I would follow Neville's Suggestion and get the existing one repaired, could you have too much play in the pivots?

This site is advertising NOS: http://www.cornucopia-enterprises.de/spares-amc.html

Russell Motors may have some NOS as well: http://www.russellmotors.co.uk/
Stan Palmer

Post by Stan Palmer »

I bought two from a well known auction site. Indian origin. Buying two was just luck as I was buying Triumph as well and got mixed up. The first one was awful. Brazed joints already broken during delivery, faces twisted, misshapen ends. Eventually sold it for a couple of quid to somebody with more ambition than me. The second one was a good match, though rather a rough forging that required a lot of cleaning up. They were from different suppliers, don't recall there was much difference in price, each about £80 I think. I don't know how you would tell if it was the good one or the other. Might be better if you could find somebody that imports them for sale. A few quid extra, but you have a chance to return if it's bad.
Stan
Invicta

Post by Invicta »

The rear stand ion my 1949 model 18 was out of alignment when I got it. The stops were not lighming up with the frame correctly. A bit of careful tweeking in the vice to true it up and now it fits perfectly. It should be obvious if yours is bent and I think you will be better off getting your original stand trued up rather than spending money on a reproduction of doubtful quality. Put as straight bar, wooden dowelling of the correct size will do, through the bolt holes and you should see where any twist or bends are . It should align with the bottom bar of the stand and be parallel with it. Good luck .