Iginiton electronic wassel

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
chopp

Iginiton electronic wassel

Post by chopp »

..hello, any of you have mounted wassel electronic ignition ??
thanks
clive

Re: Iginiton electronic wassel

Post by clive »

Chopp I still don't understand why you are placing this in the AJS model 31 section (a 650 four stroke twin) when your bike is a 500 cc Sanglas. Might be best to tell us what engine you have fitted as the Sanglas appeared to fit a number over their years of production. I have moved your post to the the Help topic.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
g80csp11

Post by g80csp11 »

The answer is that many of us fit electronic ignition to engines . the Wassell one works in the same way as boyer etc.. with a magnetic pick up replacing the points
power to the the unit from a switched supply , and magnetic pickup triggering the electronics
the advance curve is in the electronics , and any part of the original advance mechanism is removed with the pick up is fitted
static timing usually initially to a mark at the engine max advance setting and then strobe to set ideally but not strictly necessary

ive not used the wassell one , but looks like it may be a copy of the old Boyer one

I've looked at the installation instructions that wassell supply and everything look similar to boyer , and says made in Europe !
chopp

Post by chopp »

clive wrote:Chopp I still don't understand why you are placing this in the AJS model 31 section (a 650 four stroke twin) when your bike is a 500 cc Sanglas. Might be best to tell us what engine you have fitted as the Sanglas appeared to fit a number over their years of production. I have moved your post to the the Help topic.
Okay Clive, I'll go to an AJS section that is more like the Sanglas engine.
Thanks and sorry.
chopp

Post by chopp »

.Hello, about my question, it is motivated, because I installed a wassel in my Sanglas, I followed the instructions and everything was correct, to start I had to overtake, once I started and tested on the road, adjust again, now it is at its optimum point, but Although it starts well, idles correctly and runs well, I can't get past 100kms / hour (60mph), it seems as if it lacks more progress, but I can't give it, because then it starts kicking (backward).
What can be? The cables go through the same conduit as the alternator cables ... could that be the reason?
thanks
Cheers
clive

Post by clive »

Something in the translation is not quite working. What do you mean by "to start I had to overtake". The symptoms sound as though the timing is not advanced enough at higher speeds. I think you have tried advancing it and then it kicks back when you try to start it. Sounds to me as though the auto advance characteristic of the wassell unit is not enough for your engine. I wonder if they are adjustable or come with different advance settings. Perhaps Peter knows.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
Ralph

Post by Ralph »

I don't know if this applies to the Wassell but I have seen it on other systems, If the battery is not well charged the unit will
advance the timing, so if the battery volts are low you can get kick back on starting but not enough advance at high speed.
I would also try separating the wires from the alternator wiring if possible as they could be picking up spurious signals.
Ralph

g80csp11

Post by g80csp11 »

Most electronic ignition units give similar advance curve with the static setting mark set at max advance
its possible that the alternator could upset the pick ups , so wiring to the units should be run separated from those wires
ideally you should strobe the ignition , but static marks are usually pretty close

you cant really set by feel to optimum as you may find it far too retarded . if the kick start kicks back then its normally a sign of being too advance

Does your bake have a similar advance as our bikes ? or a kick start
electronic advance curve.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
chopp

Post by chopp »

Hello, the original automatic advance gives about 30º of maximum advance. The piston stroke is 76 mm.

I started by installing the electronic ignition washer, matching the mark on the magnetic rotor with the A on the plate; at that moment it won't start, I had to overtake to start. I hit the road and after several adjustments I managed to get it right, everything is fine, but when it reaches, as I said, about 60 mph, it does not run anymore, the effect is as if it lacks a few degrees of forward ignition.
The Sanglas reach 5500-6000rpm, at 3000 rpm the original automatic advance is already advanced to the maximum.

I will try to separate the ignition wires from the alternator wires.

I have installed another wassel electronic ignition in a Royal Enfield 500 and the same thing happens to me, it does not exceed 4000 rpm.
I have this curve from a power bank, I don't know if it will do any good.

Thank you
Cheers
chopp

Post by chopp »

..hello, today I checked the ignition draft, it is set at 30º, 7.5mm before pms.
If delay or advance does not go well.
I have separated the alternator cables from the ignition cables, I will test it and tell you the result.
I show a photo marking with a red line where the rotor magnet is with respect to the A of the plate (30º before TDC). Well, in the 15th distribution.
thanks
Cheers