How hot should a dynamo get?

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
adz25

Re: How hot should a dynamo get?

Post by adz25 »

Thank you for the replies.

I added another battery to the system in parallel of the same type i had spare and the amp meter showed the same as before so can only assume the same voltages apply although not confirmed.

I will do some more investigation tomorrow when the rain has stopped to try and get to the bottom of it.

Thanks again

Best regards

Adam
adz25

Post by adz25 »

Little update, after adding the additional battery i went for a short ride. Again the dynamo got hot.

I took the dynamo off, to check inside and there was no sign of overheating. The carbon brushes had left a fair amount on the commutator so have cleaned it off and reassembled the dynamo.

I will change the wassel unit for MCR cutout from my other bike but at this stage im assuming its not regulating the voltage correctly.

I came across a website stating that dynamos which are supplying too much current due to faulty regulators are likely to overheat which seems my probable cause.

Many thanks for the advice.

Best regards

Adam
Group Leader

Post by Group Leader »

Sounds like it is time for a DVR2 ....

Alan
1953 AJS 16MS, 1939 BSA 250 and a 1/3 scale Sopwith Triplane but that's another story ..... :lol:
dave16mct

Post by dave16mct »

Took the words out me mouth.
Dave
adz25

Post by adz25 »

I am awaiting the seller to return from a months "holiday" when he will hopefully issue a full refund on the unit!

In the meantime, i have fitted a known good mechanical unit and it is back to charging perfectly and a luke warm dynamo after a 40 minute ride!

I think i may well be investing in a DVR2!

Thanks for all the suggestions

Best regards

Adam