Gearbox drain plug

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
chris goldson

Gearbox drain plug

Post by chris goldson »

Has anyone got a picture of where the drain plug is on the gearbox of my 1956 model 30 please. I have located the level plug directly behind the gearbox but can't seen to locate a drain plug. I have the workshop manual but not very helpful on maintenance issues such as this

Only had the AJS a short time and gradually getting around to all the jobs I want to do. Was going to replace with SAE50 if this is advisable?
Mick D

Re: Gearbox drain plug

Post by Mick D »

Hi

It's just in front of the bottom pivot stud on the RH side:
GB Drain.png
Regards Mick
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
chris goldson

Post by chris goldson »

Many thanks Mick
JEAN-NOEL

Post by JEAN-NOEL »

Hello Chris, regarding the oïl, yes a good SAE 50 is recommanded. I use Castrol Classic 50.
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

Same here, SAE 50. I just use the same as the engine oil.

Johnny B
MalcW

Post by MalcW »

You should apparently avoid the more modern 'EP' gear oils as something in them isn't good for the bushes in the gearbox. having said that, I ran mine for a couple of years using it until I found that out! Still works fine, but has SAE 50 now.

Malc

Post by 1608 »

What material is used for bushing in later gear boxes then if it is compatible with EP gear oils.
Duncan

Post by Duncan »

I believe that it may be and issue that applies to very early i.e. pre war gearboxes, I have heard the comment often but never with any real evidence, I use EP90 in AMC gearboxes and all my earlier ones are grease filled in which I use self levelling grease and normal grease with some oil.
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi

The sulphurous additives in some EP oils can adversely chemically affect copper and it's alloys, plenty of bumf on't t'internet, eg:

https://www.machinerylubrication.com/Re ... es-effects

I don't use EP oils in my gearboxes for this reason - but there again, I've never heard of anyone actually suffering damage from doing so.

Regards Mick
Stan Palmer

Post by Stan Palmer »

I had a whining third gear on my M16. Researched oils and found plenty of evidence that the very high quality gear oils used for modern MX machines did not affect bronze bearings. Bought some and used it, whining gone. After 3-4 years it did start leaking, I have idly wondered if the oil could affect gaskets or sealant.
Against that, the Matchless I had in my living room as an ornament started to leak oil from several places, even the front forks, after 18 months. And that only had Classic oils in it.
Stan