Fork gators

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
uktom77

Fork gators

Post by uktom77 »

Probably a horribly obvious answer to this but here goes anyway. For various reasons I'm thinking of using gators on the forks. I've never had a bike with these on and it's occurred to me that presumably you still need the shrouds underneath for them to clamp to especially the lower shrouds as they keep the oil seals located. Any advice and pictures greatly appreciated.

Tom

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Andy51

Re: Fork gators

Post by Andy51 »

Hi Tom, yes, you still need lower shrouds to hold bushes and seals in place. I used gaiters partly for looks but also because shrouds were rusty. I cut shrouds down to about 1 in long (leaving threaded portion!) to get rid of damaged part and reduce weight (by a very small amount!). If your shrouds are good, you could try an advert for a damaged pair for cutting down. Cheers, Andy
MikeM.

Post by MikeM. »

Hi Tom,
I have gaiters on the forks of my Twingle, I cut the top covers down to about an inch or so in lenth so to have something to attach the gaiters to. The gaiters are only held in place at the top with plastic ties and the bottom just slides up and down on the slider extensions. I hope this is of some help.
MikeM
uktom77

Post by uktom77 »

Thanks Andy, yeah you guessed it, my shrouds are a bit knackered and I quite like the look (controversial) of gators.

uktom77

Fork gators

Post by uktom77 »

Thanks Mike, that makes sense. Think the angle grinder's getting a workout tomorrow. I can stop worrying about needing to find some good upper and lower shrouds.

uktom77

Post by uktom77 »

And that'll be why not many (2) search results came up ....... gaiters not (Ali) gators