Speedo drive question

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
MalcW

Speedo drive question

Post by MalcW »

Hi

When opening out the hole on a speedo drive box to fit a heavyweight rear spindle, how would you/do you keep the resultant metal swarf out of the mechanism. I'm about to fit my 3rd drive, and have tried both tape and a ring of bluetac in the past, neither being totally successful. The fact that those boxes failed after about 1500 miles or so each suggests that despite best efforts I hadn't got all of the debris out.

Thanks,

Malc
Mick D

Re: Speedo drive question

Post by Mick D »

MalcW wrote:The fact that those boxes failed after about 1500 miles or so each suggests that despite best efforts I hadn't got all of the debris out.
Hi

Another possibility is that the drives are poor quality :roll:

if you want to avoid dismantling the drive to clean it out all I can suggest is taping over ALL of the joints and orifices, once you have opened out the axle hole flush the drive thoroughly with new grease, wipe off all excess grease then remove the tape, re-grease and wipe off again.

Regards Mick
clive

Post by clive »

Regular greasing of the unit after fitting may help. Even the original units required greasing every 1000 miles, although I doubt most got it.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
MalcW

Post by MalcW »

Hi

I have now received and fitted the new speedo drive. Just in case it helps anyone else, I discovered that those common tubes of various sealants - silicone bath seal, that sort of thing, are exactly the right diameter to sit inside the drive. I cut about 3/4 inch off the free end of a tube, cut a couple of small slots to clear the drive lugs, and then held it in place while I opened out the hole. Once finished, I cleaned everything out, then removed the sleeve.

Just thought I'd mention it in case it helps anyone else.

Malc