stripping a ceandess oil oil tank filler cap

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
Invicta

stripping a ceandess oil oil tank filler cap

Post by Invicta »

The chrome on my Ceandess oil tank filler cap has worn away and I want to get it re chromed. The old seal has hardened and I would like to replace that too. Anyone know how to get these apart without totally destroying the brass innards ?
Mick D

Re: stripping a ceandess oil oil tank filler cap

Post by Mick D »

Hi

There's a thin metal ring that stops the inner cap and spring passing the bayonet depressions in the cap, (it's under the cork seal), you can gently lever this ring past the bayonet depressions and the rest of the gubbins lifts away.

Regards Mick
bitza

Post by bitza »

I think you need to depress the sealing ring then you can ease the thin metal ring out of the cap it's a fiddle little job, but not to hard.
Invicta

Post by Invicta »

Thank you bitza and Mick. I have got both the 1949 and 1950 oil caps apart. The 1949 I cut off the head of the split pin and got the first disc and sealing ring out, then depressed the larger disc and pushed it to one side in order to get a good knife blade under it and levered it out. It did get a bit bent but was easy enough to straighten. The 1950 oil cap I just pushed the brass discs down and to one side and got a screw driver underneath and levered them out. It took a bit of doing and the larger disc once again got bent. I did it this way as I wanted to re use the brass split pin. A difference between the two caps the split pin on the 1950 cap was not only bent back but soldered onto the underside of the larger brass disc and not realising it was soldered I boke it I think that to solder the split pin was a bit of belt and braces on the part of Ceandess Ltd.
clive

Post by clive »

49 oil cap should be a pie rust type, easy enough to take apart once the split pin is out, it just unscrews.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

clive wrote:49 oil cap should be a pie rust type
That's the type favoured by the oily rag brigade I guess ;) :rofl:
Invicta

Post by Invicta »

A lot of changes took place in 1949 and my 1949 parts book does indeed show pie crust filler caps , for oil and petrol tank . I did order a pie crust type but it did not fit the petrol tank. Enquiries with Steve at AMC Classic spares revealed that I should have plain round ones. The pie crust type was last used in 1948 and apparently they did not update the picture in the parts book. A shame as I prefer the look of the pie crust caps.
clive

Post by clive »

they leak like hell though! I always thought my 49 G80 had the wrong oil tank as it came with piecrust petrol tank and plain round cap on the oil tank. Sounds like it was the petrol tank that was wrong but that is now sitting in my shed now Sam so your petrol and oil tank may be correct.
clive
Samuel

Post by Samuel »

clive wrote:Sam so your petrol and oil tank may be correct.
I'm not a rivet counter so ok either way.
I have not seen it for over two months now. My brother tells me it has decided to dump the gearbox oil onto his garage floor.
Not clear yet why this has happened as it was reasonably oil tight for last two years.
May see it again in November... just hoping
Sam
clive

Post by clive »

Sam it may be the engine oil, wet sumping into the primary then out of the gearbox slot. Singles don't usually wet sump badly but there has been discussion on the website that if left with the oil pump in a certain position it is worse. Someone even set their end plate up with an indicator to check how they were leaving it.
clive