Silver Streak

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
Rob Harknett

Re: Silver Streak

Post by Rob Harknett »

ianw1 wrote:Thanks Rob, I think the easiest thing for me to do is to fit a GPS speedometer, not very inkeeping with the age of the bike but it will keep it legal & I can remove it.
That's one way to overcome the speedo issue. It would save looking for more parts and be less costly.
Duncan

Post by Duncan »

ianw1 wrote:Thanks Rob, I think the easiest thing for me to do is to fit a GPS speedometer, not very inkeeping with the age of the bike but it will keep it legal & I can remove it.
Although more accurate than a period speedo I don't believe that GPS speedos are technically legal as the only means of measurement as they suffer in built up areas and in tunnels.
ianw1

Post by ianw1 »

Thanks Duncan. I think the only other alternative is a digital push bike speedo that is triggered by a magnet attached to the spokes?
Duncan

Post by Duncan »

ianw1 wrote:Thanks Duncan. I think the only other alternative is a digital push bike speedo that is triggered by a magnet attached to the spokes?
Hi Ian, I tend to run pushbikes speedos as well as the smiths speedo as they offer a higher degree of accuracy, again technically speaking they should be illuminated for night use.

Don't be too off put by the technicalities of the GPS or pushbike speedo though, I am not trying to deter you for doing this, either will be more accurate than most traditional arrangements and enable you to keep within the speed limits. The GPS speedos tend to be more expensive and require recharging regularly where as a cheap bicycle speedo will last a couple of years and then just need a button cell battery, you could always mount a satnav or smart phone on the bars as an alternative. For looks you could always put a non functioning speedo on the bike with a cable disappearing under the tank or set a bicycle speedo in a old smiths housing under a cut-out face and dummy needle this could also illuminate, a chance to get creative.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Have a look if you have the correct rear wheel, if its later it may take a rear wheel speedo drive.
ianw1

Post by ianw1 »

Hi Rob, I've checked the rear wheel for a speedo drive. On the non chain side of the rear hub is a threaded boss with 2 slots adjacent to each other. There is a gap of about an inch between that slotted face & the frame where the spindle mounts into the frame.
dave16mct

Post by dave16mct »

I know it wouldn't look right on your bike but I thought this was interesting:

https://www.louis-moto.co.uk/artikel/t- ... 8452b4c205

Dave.
ianw1

Post by ianw1 »

Hi Duncan, thanks for the reply. I was thinking along those lines. Fit a Smiths replica speedo with the cable terminating under the tank. Also have a pushbike speedo.
The Smiths speedo would keep things looking right.
Does anyone have a pic of the speedo mounting bracket so I can make one please?
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

ianw1 wrote:Hi Duncan, thanks for the reply. I was thinking along those lines. Fit a Smiths replica speedo with the cable terminating under the tank. Also have a pushbike speedo.
The Smiths speedo would keep things looking right.
Does anyone have a pic of the speedo mounting bracket so I can make one please?

A T bracket bolts onto the two mounting points on forks top link. These forks are 1938 only. The speedo is mounted via 2 holes in the T leg. This is not just a simple flat T.
If you see any laying about on jumble stalls check hole centre dimensions, T brackets were fitted on other marques like post war James 2 strokes. THey would not be the same as AJS.
Group Leader

Post by Group Leader »

Ian I have had a similar speedo dilemma for a little BSA project I'm working on. If you've not seen it already this may be of interest even if not directly useful (you'll need to scroll down a few posts)!

http://www.jampot.com/forum/viewtopic.p ... 9&start=10

Maybe I should consider going into production? :ugeek:

Alan
1953 AJS 16MS, 1939 BSA 250 and a 1/3 scale Sopwith Triplane but that's another story ..... :lol: