Model 30 seat bolts

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
chris goldson

Model 30 seat bolts

Post by chris goldson »

Do I have to drop the jampots to get to the seat retaining nuts? The offside bolt seems to come out OK but nearside just spins and looks like I need to remove the jampot to get a spanner on it?
clive

Re: Model 30 seat bolts

Post by clive »

A small child's hands are helpful so is the correct size flat ring spanner. You should not need to remove the suspension.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
g5wqian

Post by g5wqian »

hi chris ;
i get my hand up the back of the mudguard with a little difficulty but just manage it , you could let the tyre down for more space ..

i have my bolts passing from mudguard outwards and have acorn nuts on outside , that way i can pull the bolt back just enough to remove seat but still leave them in the holes ready to poke back through .

the front of seat is held down by forked plate dropped behind the cross bolt , i use a box spanner to undo the nuts to allow enough slack to lift seat away from it , no need to remove nuts just loosen them off here .

while seat is off make sure wires from horn are not likely to ground to frame .

ian
g80csp11

Post by g80csp11 »

I use a ring spanner suitably straightened to get access , when refitting just tape the back of the ring spanner to hold nut in place
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Always use the correct fittings, I usually manage just using my hands, one finger on the nut. If that does not work, a ring spanner.
chris goldson

Post by chris goldson »

Thanks for all the info

Did not realise that the bolt goes right through to the back mudguard.
dave16mct

Post by dave16mct »

It doesn't! :D
Dave.
chris goldson

Post by chris goldson »

Found them, has anyone ever discovered who was in the design department who authorised this fitting ?
clive

Post by clive »

yep it was a small child. Normal solution for those who want to pull the seat on and off frequently is to use a slightly heavier bolt and thread the frame. Personally I just put up with it, there are other design features much more annoying, such as the need, with the Matchless engine with the rear facing magneto, to take the entire primary side off including the inner and outer chaincases, the front sprocket and entire clutch basket in order to get at the dynamo. do that and then find your rebuild of your dynamo was a dud and you will really appreciate the AMC design section. :headbang: I have updated my Rigid G3L with an AJA engine just to avoid it.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix