Lycette Saddle Springs

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
Invicta

Lycette Saddle Springs

Post by Invicta »

I have a Lycette saddle that came with my two AJS model 18 basket cases, one 1949 and one 1950. Where the springs attach to the frame they have a fixing point at 90 degrees to the length of the spring, so will not fit over the standard fixing stud. It looks as though they would need 'L' shaped brackets to attach them to the studs, or it could be that the saddle was from some other bike where the spring was secured by a bolt at 90 degrees to the frame. All of the photographs I have seen of rigid framed AJS bikes with a single saddle show the saddle springs secured on studs screwed into the top of the frame. I know I can swap the springs over for a new pair of the normal springs, which I have, but these are poorly made and I will have to heat up and re bend the fixing holes to make them round enough for the studs and bolts to pass through. Does anyone know if AJS ever use the type of springs that I have and if so on which models.
Duncan

Re: Lycette Saddle Springs

Post by Duncan »

It sounds like you have earlier subframes, the fixings for the lower saddle springs changed in 1948, if you look at some WD bike pictures you should see the same arrangement as you have.

Some earlier parts list show an L shaped "angle iron type" bracket or springs with an extension spur and fixing eye.
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Duncan wrote:It sounds like you have earlier subframes, the fixings for the lower saddle springs changed in 1948, .
Reckon you're right, Drunken.
My '47 Model 18 (one previous owner) had a vertical spring eye that was bolted to a bracket on the frame.
Saddle spring bracket.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
Invicta

Post by Invicta »

Thank you for the information gents. I looked at pictures of a WW2 GL3 and that is exactly the saddle springs I have. I will source some of the correct springs for the 1949 and hopefully find some with a decent round bend for the studs to pass through. I now have a pair of pre 1948 springs spare if anyone wants them. Cheers