petrol tank

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
rodb

petrol tank

Post by rodb »

IMG_0109.jpg
I am building up my matchless, i have a petrol tank which i am pretty sure is from a 1955/56 G9( No 1 attachment) , which had a single downtube frame and i have a 1960 duplex frame which seems not wide enough at the front and consequently pushes the tank too far back, and the dual seat position looks like it is riding up the back of the tank . Have i missed a trick or do i need another tank ?
How can i check to see if the tank i am looking for is the correct one for my frame

regards rodb
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
SPRIDDLER

Re: petrol tank

Post by SPRIDDLER »

No doubt someone with practical knowledge will be able to advise.
However, the Spares Lists may give you a clue, e.g. The '55 and '60 tanks have different part nos.

http://archives.jampot.dk/book/Spares_lists/

A (not very helpful) drawing of the '55 G9 tank and the dualseat is on page 36 here:

http://archives.jampot.dk/book/Spares_l ... t_M_G9.pdf

Edit.
Greybeard wrote:It looks more like the wrong seat to me for a 1960 duplex frame.
That was my first thought too. I assume it may be the photo angle but the seat looks far too high up - the top being not very far from being level with the top of the tank. :?
Last edited by SPRIDDLER on Tue Dec 15, 2020 1:37 pm, edited 5 times in total.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
Greybeard

Post by Greybeard »

It looks more like the wrong seat to me for a 1960 duplex frame. - on both my 61 G80 and 61 M31 the nose of the saddle doesnt come much farther forward that the upright frame tube below it and the seat is of an altogether different design. Have a google for images and youll see what I mean.
Youll get a better idea of the tank fit once youve got the forks and handlebars on.

Steve
clive

Post by clive »

You are looking at the issues which come from trying to lash together a bike from parts from a collection of years. To decide if you can make it all fit you need to start with looking at whether the front seat mounting is fitting to the frame. I think it is from a much earlier bike than your duplex frame. Secondly does the petrol tank fit to the tank mounting points on the frame. If so you will probably be better finding a different seat. That one certainly looks wrong. Don't see this as criticism as my last project was made from at least 22 donor bikes I calculated, and not all the correct year, but it does require some bodgery.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
LynP

Post by LynP »

Hi, the 1961/62 duplex frame tank is wider at the front than earlier single frame tanks and has a seam down the middle, (the 1959 tank also had a seam down the middle but again is narrower at the front as 1959 frames were single down tube). The standard seat for 1960/61 were a sort of two level with a seam that dropped down the side about half way along the length. Hope this helps.
rodb

Post by rodb »

Thanks everybody its more or less what I thought , oh well start looking again.

rodb
clive

Post by clive »

you could use the adverts to move on the tank and seat!!!

Adverts Editor
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
G15 Roy

Post by G15 Roy »

I have just removed my wanted add for a duplex tank after finding one but had to dig dip just over £200.00. :x
Roy