Wheels and Tyres

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
rodb

Wheels and Tyres

Post by rodb »

1960 G9 .
What is the standard diameter of the wheels for the above bike , is it 19inch if so would fitting 18's be ok as i have 18 inch aly rims fitted by the previous owner.
What tyres and company can anybody recommend to purchase from, ideally from around my area Northamptonshire.
Thanks
Regards rodb
clive

Re: Wheels and Tyres

Post by clive »

If you have 18 inch rims you have to fit 18 inch tyres regardless of what was originally fitted. If you fit 18 by 400 they will be the pretty close to the rolling size of a 19 by 3.50. Make sure the 400 will fit the swinging arm though it may rub on the chainguard. A 3.50 by 18 will be a little smaller but you ate not likely to notice the difference.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
dave16mct

Post by dave16mct »

I usually send for tyres to somewhere like Vintage Tyre Co https://www.vintagetyres.com or Pneus https://www.tyres-pneus-online.co.uk
Don't forget new tubes and rimtapes. Then get them fitted at my local tyre business.
Dave
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

dave16mct wrote: Don't forget new tubes and rimtapes.
.......and only use known brand tubes; Michelin, Continental etc. as many of the cheap autojumble and eBay ones are not up to the job. You can actually feel the thicker rubber of the branded ones.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

SPRIDDLER wrote:
dave16mct wrote: Don't forget new tubes and rimtapes.
.......and only use known brand tubes; Michelin, Continental etc. as many of the cheap autojumble and eBay ones are not up to the job. You can actually feel the thicker rubber of the branded ones.
I have also had seems split and valve joints leak on cheap tubes. The cheap tubes will not last long before this all happens. If you have spent a few years restoring a bike. Do not be surprised if
the cheap tubes fitted a few years, fail before you have done many miles. You may not even get a warning. I had a rear tube go flat half way round a bend on my 650 CSR. two up. It happened going to Jampot Rally on North Weald airfield. I was only going at tick over speed due to airfield speed limits. Seconds earlier I was laying the bike over at speed round bends. The tube seam had split about 100 m.m. That was my second experience of a tube seam splitting.
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Just for interest, here's a tube where the Slime puncture gloop didn't work.
(No, the pink shoe isn't mine :roll: ).
Slime 2 (640x480).jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
rodb

Post by rodb »

thanks guys
rodb
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

+1 on decent tubes. I also had problems with a cheap one.

Johnny B