Ammeter

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
MalcW

Ammeter

Post by MalcW »

Can I just check how the ammeter is removed? Is it just a matter of bending the little chrome tabs That can be seen inside the headlamp shell?

Just thought I'd check before making a mistake! It's a 1960 magneto twin, in case that makes a difference.

Thanks,

Malc
Mick D

Re: Ammeter

Post by Mick D »

Hi

That's correct, try to straighten the tabs as little as possible to reduce the risk of them fatiguing and braking.

Regards Mick

Post by 1608 »

Educate me on this one. I presume we are talking about original fitment? Cos the only ones I know of have a 'U' bracket clamping the ammeter in place, probably all replacements.
MalcW

Post by MalcW »

1608 wrote:Educate me on this one. I presume we are talking about original fitment? Cos the only ones I know of have a 'U' bracket clamping the ammeter in place, probably all replacements.
I don't honestly know, it's the one that the bike came with. But when I was sorting out a wiring problem recently and I removed the wires from the ammeter, the whole threaded stud started turning on one side. The ammeter doesn't seem very well now...

Malc
MalcW

Post by MalcW »

Mick D wrote:Hi

That's correct, try to straighten the tabs as little as possible to reduce the risk of them fatiguing and braking.

Regards Mick
Thanks Mick. I fear the ammeter is deceased, but just in case, I'll be careful with it and see how it goes.

Malc
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

1608 wrote:Educate me on this one. I presume we are talking about original fitment? Cos the only ones I know of have a 'U' bracket clamping the ammeter in place, probably all replacements.
Hi

I think I'm right in saying the original Lucas ammeters were retained by four tabs on the bezel which were bent over once the ammeter was inserted into the headlamp / instrument panel, (there was also an O ring seal there).

The cheap replacement reproductions, (Wassel), use the brass 'U' clamp a la speedo.

If you look at the ammeter aperture in the headlight I think you'll see four recess' for the tabs at 90 degrees apart.

Regards Mick

Post by 1608 »

That makes sense thanks.
g80csp11

Post by g80csp11 »

the Lucas ones sold by wassel have the 4 tabs as original , cost more than the others but better quality . only thing i do is apply glue to the insulated
backing where it joins plastic to strengthen . Wassel own the Lucas name
MalcW

Post by MalcW »

g80csp11 wrote:the Lucas ones sold by wassel have the 4 tabs as original , cost more than the others but better quality . only thing i do is apply glue to the insulated
backing where it joins plastic to strengthen . Wassel own the Lucas name
Well, my new ammeter has just arrived, and it is of the 4 tab variety. Glue-wise, what do you use? Superglue?

Thanks,

Malc
g80csp11

Post by g80csp11 »

i run some epoxy around ie araldite rapid or something similar . it just reduces the risk of the joint breaking when you tighten up the electrical connections