Front brake cable.

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
ianw1

Front brake cable.

Post by ianw1 »

I'm looking to buy a replacment front brake cable for my 1938 Silver Streak, old part number 38-B-1.
I can't find any cross reference to later part numbers.
Can any one tell me if the brake cable is available please?
dave16mct

Re: Front brake cable.

Post by dave16mct »

I don't think you'll find one at the usual places. If you have the old one you can send it to JJ Cables and he will make an excellent new one for you. Venhill also do this or you could buy the cable parts from Vehicle Wiring Services and make your own. (I'd go to to JJ Cables if you're not experienced in making cables). Rob H may know of a source in the Pre War section.
Dave.
ianw1

Post by ianw1 »

Many thanks Dave.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

dave16mct wrote:I don't think you'll find one at the usual places. If you have the old one you can send it to JJ Cables and he will make an excellent new one for you. Venhill also do this or you could buy the cable parts from Vehicle Wiring Services and make your own. (I'd go to to JJ Cables if you're not experienced in making cables). Rob H may know of a source in the Pre War section.
Dave.
I would not advise you where to get a 38-B-1 front brake cable until I knew if you have all the correct parts to fit it on.
If you have an old cable fitted, do as advised, get in touch with JJ Cables. They will need all details of the cable not the bike, or old cable to copy.
38-B-1 will fit 250 & 350 OHV, but if the bike is a 500 it needs 38-B-2. 38 forks were for 1938 only Id 38 forks by them having two threaded fixing points on the top link, to fit a T bracket to fit the speedo to. The correct cable is very short as it only goes from the lever to the fork spring box. Any questions or pictures of what you should have pleas ask. But if you have the cable just contact JJ cables.
ianw1

Post by ianw1 »

Hi Rob, yes mine are the 38 forks, 350 OHV, forks have the two threaded fixing points & the cable adjuster & spring box are mounted in a threaded boss on the left leg where the lower headlamp bracket mounts.
Bike engine number is 38/2655 7148A.
The outer cable is very tatty so I was hoping there would maybe be a replacment to keep everything as original. No problem, I can make my own cable using the original spring box. Many thanks for all the help.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Long time since I made & fitted a cable Ian. The end should fit in the spring box. You would not find a spring box very easy. It was ages before I found one for my 36 250. I had to make a cable to go from the lever to the brake plate arm. I made it so the adjuster was at the top of the spring box hole. I put thin plastic cable sleaving on the long run of bare cable wire so it looked like a black metal rod.
ianw1

Post by ianw1 »

Thanks Rob, I'll reuse the spring & the spring box, I had toyed with doing what you did with the adjuster.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

ianw1 wrote:Thanks Rob, I'll reuse the spring & the spring box, I had toyed with doing what you did with the adjuster.
Ian, I am wondering what adjusters you have at the moment. you should have 2. cable adjuster being part of the cable at the top. also the rod adjuster. I have not got a clear pic handy of 1938. My 36 bike pic is clearer ( note the brake is on the right of 36 forks )
SDC15228.JPG
38 26 c.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ianw1

Post by ianw1 »

Yes Rob, they are the adjusters I have. I can't post a pic as my pics turn out massive for some reason???? I need help on that one!
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

ianw1 wrote:Yes Rob, they are the adjusters I have. I can't post a pic as my pics turn out massive for some reason???? I need help on that one!
The pic's need to be under a certain size file, aim for reducing them to about .490 mb and you should be OK. Just cropping the pic down the part of the picture you need to show may do this. If this is a problem for you and you would really like to post a certain pic. E mail it to me prewar@jampot.com I will return the file re-sized to you.