ajs 14 crankcase breather

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
Bill2181

ajs 14 crankcase breather

Post by Bill2181 »

Hi All, I need your help. The rotor in the crankcase relief valve is free to rotate on the crankshaft. Should it be? There is a very narrow (1mm) slit in the crankshaft and a broader slit on the inside edge of the rotor, ? keyway. There is also a bolt in the crankcase which I would guess should lock the rotor, but the bolt is too short anyway. Does anyone have a diagram showing how it should be? Many thanks in anticipation.
Bill
Last edited by Bill2181 on Wed Jan 20, 2021 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SPRIDDLER

Re: ajs 14 crankcase breather

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Sorry Bill, can't help with your question but it's not reckoned to be a good idea to put your email address on an open forum
If a member wants to email you they can click on your name beside your post, then click on Profile and the page below comes up. They can click on where i've put the arrow to send you an email. Only subscribing members can access that page so it provide a bit of security from scammers and phishers.

Profile (539x407).jpg
You can delete the email in your post by using the Edit button at top right of the post.
(Just noticed you've done so :beer: )
Edit button (404x176).jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
clanger9

Post by clanger9 »

Hi Bill,

Yes, it's a keyway. The rotor should bey keyed onto the crankshaft with key 017602 (available from club spares).

This diagram shows how the bolted breather tube is supposed to fit:
http://archives.jampot.dk/technical/Cut ... 7-1964.jpg

You might have the later breather with the separate bolt (and cast-in breather tube), in which case it's just a simple bolt that holds the stator in place. Lots of useful pics in this thread:
http://www.jampot.com/forum/viewtopic.p ... 6&#p150328
1989 Moto Morini Dart 350
1993 Ducati 750SS
Bill2181

Post by Bill2181 »

Thank you clanger9, It all begins to make sense apart from the fact that this engine has two ball races, and the rotor, being sandwiched between them makes keying to the crankshaft well nigh impossible. I therefor conclude that some previous owner has fitted a ball rather than two part roller race, and let the breather to do its own thing. There was no signs of a key when stripped. I shall duly order the correct bearing.
Many thanks for your help.
clanger9

Post by clanger9 »

Hi Bill,

Glad that's helpful! Early engines did have two ball races - it's a mystery how they were assembled at the factory! This arrangement was subsequently changed to an outer ball bearing and inner roller bearing, which makes a lot more sense.

Here's a sketch I made that shows how it's supposed to fit together. It's an unusual arrangement, so it's no wonder it is sometimes assembled incorrectly...
lightweight_main_bearings.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1989 Moto Morini Dart 350
1993 Ducati 750SS