engine ID

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
garycolwill

engine ID

Post by garycolwill »

Hi. I just bought a weird custom motorcycle from eBay. The seller says the frame is a harley, but the engine is clearly a Matchless. He is a bit clueless about motorcycles. Can anyone tell me where the engine number would be located using the pics in this ebay listing? Maybe also a good guess at the model. Thanks.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/274073984412
clive

Re: engine ID

Post by clive »

Engine number would be at the front on the crankcase just below the barrel. The number will tell you the year and model (Matchless or AJS). The wheels may be Norton which were fitted to Matchless/AJS bike from early 60s. Frame?
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
garycolwill

Post by garycolwill »

I really only care about the engine, but I am curious about the frame. The seller said it was a harley frame
I have my doubts. Any thoughts on that? Were you saying that the frame is Matchless/AJS?
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

Certainly not an AMC frame that I'm aware of, whilst some items look AMC the overall impression is definitely not the case.
clive

Post by clive »

No I was referring to the engine and wheels. If it was an AJS/Matchless frame at one time it has been so heavily modified it is hard to tell.
clive
garycolwill

Post by garycolwill »

That's what I thought. Hard to believe it's a harley frame, though, but if it is, the bottom has been modified to use this engine as a stressed member of the frame. Do you think the transmission is a Matchless/AJS item?
garycolwill

Post by garycolwill »

This is a photo from the frame - not sure where. I'm wondering about that logo right under the number. Is this Matchless related? Thanks.
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi

That casting with a hole through it below the front seat mount is very distinctive - I can't identify the frame but that's where I focus my search.

Regards Mick
clive

Post by clive »

The logo does not feature on a Matchless/AJS frames. For a short period there was a frame with a hole in a similar place but the rest of the frame looks nothing like it. Gearbox and clutch do not look like AMC ones.
clive
Matchbox Kid

Post by Matchbox Kid »

Logo is MB is it a Moto Becane? wheels look like Triumph, engine deffo Matchless and gearbox is anyone's guess.