Tyre and wheel queries ..

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
Taid

Tyre and wheel queries ..

Post by Taid »

I'm getting a fair bit of vibration as I get into the 50mph's, so with thoughts of wheel balancing and maybe new tyres I have been looking at the rubber this AM.

Firstly, in doing so, I found that there is some rotational play between the rear wheel and the brake drum (about 1/8" at the hub circumference. ) I will know more when I take the wheel out, but just how bad (or OK) is this ???

Now .. tyres

The front is an Avon Speedmaster Mk 2, the rear is an Avon RoadRunner (but there is no size marking on the rear that makes sense to a bear of little brain (the nearest to a size I can see is (in small characters) 100/90 H19 and (in large characters) 410 H19 .. I don't understand the date markings either (the front is A516) and I can't make sense at all of the rear, but that is 'by the by' as there are circumferential cracks on both tyres, so new ones it is .. leading to the question ... What to get?

Replacing like for like, I can't find RoadRunners on the Avon site and on an earlier thread there is mention of Speedmaster front and rear .. again, on the Avon site (or elsewhere on the net), I can't find a Speedmaster rear.

For Classics, the Avon site shows Speedmaster fronts and three types of Safety Milage ..

I am inclined to Avon (no specific reason .. )

I note the club's tyres are Pakistani 'Servis' .. Any comments on these, please?

What is the current view?
___

Now sold ... 1956 AJS 16MS Bitsa .. HSU 414 .. rebuilt/re-registered 1987
dave16mct

Re: Tyre and wheel queries ..

Post by dave16mct »

I usually go for speedmast front 3.25 x 19, Safety mileage rear 3.50 x 19 from Vintage Tyre Company. https://www.vintagetyres.com/shop/tyres
Dave
Taid

Post by Taid »

dave16mct wrote:I usually go for speedmast front 3.25 x 19, Safety mileage rear 3.50 x 19 from Vintage Tyre Company. https://www.vintagetyres.com/shop/tyres
Dave

Thanks, D .. I'm looking at those .. got a place within a couple of miles with them in stock .. I'll see what he charges to supply, fit and balance .. maybe fit myself (then I can check tubes and rimtape myself ..)
___

clive

Post by clive »

in my experience vibration at speed is the front wheel balance, never bothered with the rear wheel. My G11CS is wearing about half a ton of lead on the front wheel but its balanced it.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Hi Ben, almost as many views on tyres as oil, its difficult to get a really poor tyre these days so its really hard to get it wrong, less mainstream brands tend to be comparatively thinner in cross section than the bigger names so you may need to up the size (others will advise).

There are several conversion tables on the internet, here is a random one: https://www.maxxis.co.uk/know-your-tyre ... conversion

I prefer Avon RoadRiders as I have confidence in them and they suit me but I also use Dunlop K70's.

Tubes are a different matter go for a big name (e.g. Michelin, Continental, etc)
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

+1 for RoadRiders, they're on the Matchless and the Yamaha.

It's a long time since I used other than Avon. Did have K70's on the trumpet a very, very long time ago and they were good then.

Johnny B
Taid

Post by Taid »

Thanks, guys for your interest ...

I've got a Speedmaster and Safety milage on order .. to be honest, along with the recommendations I like the 'original' appearance ..

When I get the wheels out I'm going to send the brakeshoes off for relining by Villiers Services .. They do work at the moment, I've not had a look at them yet, but I feel they could be better ..
___

Samuel

Post by Samuel »

The ribbed Avon really is not 'original' - take a look at this promotional picture ...
1949 AJS Model 18 S.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Sam
Taid

Post by Taid »

Samuel wrote:The ribbed Avon really is not 'original' - take a look at this promotional picture ...
Point taken .. My memory must be playing up .. Thought my 55 16ms had had a ribbed front .. I know the 52 Comet I had in 58 had, but of course that may not have been original fitment ..

Ah well, the bikes a bitsa anyway .. :beer:
___

Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Taid wrote:My memory must be playing up .. Thought my 55 16ms had had a ribbed front
Nowt wrong with your memory as can be seen in the 55 brochure ;)

http://archives.jampot.dk/promotional/S ... ochure.pdf

Regards Mick