Burman B52 "core plug"

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
56G80S

Re: Burman B52 "core plug"

Post by 56G80S »

Hi All

Rejuvenated this thread.

Draganfly didn't have the core plug nor did they expect to. I didn't fancy the plastic approach so used a bit of aluminium sheet and did a rough job with some snips and cut a "circle"; term used loosely. I made it a tad larger than the bore and dimpled it by using a spare socket of the right size and the ball of a very small ball pein hammer.
Aluminium core plug.jpg
I just used the thumbnail from the mobile so the resolution is poor. All going well until I "undimpled" it a little too enthusiastically but it is securely in place. Lightly tapped marks round the outside edge to give a key for the JB weld. That's the point. How much do I need to score the bore in the casing?

I've also used the JB weld for another purpose and with the ambient temperature at the lock up low, it was slow to set or was that my imagination? I usually use meths for final degreasing and that's always worked well for me, should I be using something else? I have the other two (untouched) core plugs to do as well while I'm on with the job.

I'm half tempted to make a little plate, drill the case and tap in a very small BA screws; Mick D will now tell me I'm overthinking this.

JohnnyB
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

Despite diminishing of interest I am rounding this thread off.

During my clear out of the lock up I found a core plug set for a Vauxhall Viva (never had one). One of the core plugs was very, very fractionally smaller than the one in question on the Burman box. Great, I thought, I'll take out the aluminium one that I made and fit this with some JB Weld.

Couldn't get "mine" out. Tried hard with the little pick set but no joy. So cleaned everything up, did my best to slightly roughen the surfaces and have used the JB Weld on all three core plugs; hope they stay put.

Johnny B
clive

Post by clive »

56G80S wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 1:36 pm Couldn't get "mine" out. Tried hard with the little pick set but no joy. So cleaned everything up, did my best to slightly roughen the surfaces and have used the JB Weld on all three core plugs; hope they stay put.
Johnny B
They probably will Johnny so long as you don't get your little pick out whilst you are on the move. :rofl:
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix