Entering unknown territory .. Brakes

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
Taid

Entering unknown territory .. Brakes

Post by Taid »

Taken the front wheel out today to fit new tyre .. so, while about it, I have decided to have new brake linings .. I have not been impressed with the brakes, and don't know how old the old linings are ..

Going to send them off to Villiers for recent softer compound, which I understand should be as good as it gets ..

Which brings me to the point of my point ...

Reading the workshop manual and the Instruction book, it says to centralise everything after working with the brakes, but the instructions do not appear to match up with my brakes,

It talks about slightly loosening the brake shoe fulcrum nut, which I can see in the illustration in the Instruction book, but mine is not like that at all .. my fulcrum is held in place by a countersunk screw with an allen key socket, which would not seem to allow for any slight movement such as you may get with with a nut.

I am wondering if my brake plate is a different year (The bike is a bitsa, anyway), and when centralising the brake, should I ignore that part of the instruction .. after all, it does say the rear brake does not have that kind of fixing on the fulcrum pin ..

If that all makes sense ....
___

Now sold ... 1956 AJS 16MS Bitsa .. HSU 414 .. rebuilt/re-registered 1987
Mick D

Re: Entering unknown territory .. Brakes

Post by Mick D »

Hi

I think you're looking at the wrong part in the list - the fulcrum is PN 022261 which is a threaded spindle with a hex detent in one end to allow it to be screwed into the plate. Sounds like you have the correct parts.

Personally I see no reason to loosen the pivot when centralising the brake, just release the nut holding the plate to the spindle, expand the shoes and re-secure the nut.

Regards Mick
MalcW

Post by MalcW »

Mick D wrote:
Personally I see no reason to loosen the pivot when centralising the brake, just release the nut holding the plate to the spindle, expand the shoes and re-secure the nut.

Regards Mick
That's all I do. The brake will still be relatively poor, but it least it will a centralised poor.

Malc
Taid

Post by Taid »

Thanks M.D & M ..

Once my shoes come back I'll get to it ..

Thanks again ..

T
___

Now sold ... 1956 AJS 16MS Bitsa .. HSU 414 .. rebuilt/re-registered 1987
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

It's important to have the correct h/bar lever which is 7/8" between the nipple centre and the lever pivot bolt.
Also to use a good quality control cable with a substantial and tightly wound outer conduit.
Here is the difference between a good (heavier duty) Venhill cable and a cheap autojumble cable......
Control cables dims..jpg
The cheap cable with a less tightly wound outer will give a spongey feel at the h/bar lever and the conduit can also crush...........
Control cable ferrule.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi

Those auto jumble cables are shocking :o :o

5mm outers and their associated 1 or 1.5mm inners should only be used for throttle, timing or air cables - clutch and brake inner cables should be no less than 2mm.

Regards Mick
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Indeed so, Mick.
I casually bought a pair of cheap cables at Kempton autojumble just for my experimental left hand brake and clutch levers adaptation.
I only realised how rubbish they were when I got back to the shed and compared them with my more robust Venhill ones.
Here's the autojumble one fitted to the front brake lever showing the crushing when I first tried it. Th lower one is a Venhill one for the clutch lever.
K-Lever on Marigold (640x480) Bunching.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'