Speedo drive gearbox .. undo speedo cable ..

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
Taid

Speedo drive gearbox .. undo speedo cable ..

Post by Taid »

There was I thinking "New back tyre and we are ready for getting some miles in" .. Carefully read up on removing back wheel, note to disconnect speedo cable at drive gearbox before removing wheel .. OK, simple .. WRONG

When I get the spanner on and turn it, the Male/Male (am I allowed to say that these days?) fitting between the cable and the gearbox turns and I can't find a way of holding it ..

My current thought is to free the cable from the speedo in the headlamp so that I can then either undo the cable and the fitting together, letting the whole cable length turn, take out the wheel and then with more space to work in, 'try' to to separate the cable and fitting, or take out the wheel bring the cable with it and then try to free the cable, leaving the fitting in place. I have a concern that if the M/M fitting is removed, it may be impossible to restore without completely dismantling the gearbox

Has anyone else sorted this .. what is the recommended method?
___

Now sold ... 1956 AJS 16MS Bitsa .. HSU 414 .. rebuilt/re-registered 1987
dave16mct

Re: Speedo drive gearbox .. undo speedo cable ..

Post by dave16mct »

Slacken the speedo gearbox retaining nut, take off the split link and drop the chain down, slacken the wheel spindle nuts, slide the wheel back and off the swinging arm while pulling off the speedo gearbox (still attatched to the cable).
Dave.
Taid

Post by Taid »

Thank you D.

Job for tomorrow ..

T
___

Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Taid wrote:Job for tomorrow ..
Hi

I think the adaptor to which you refer is splined into the housing - see here:

When you have the wheel off I suggest you file a couple of flats onto the adaptor to allow it to be restrained in situ with a ground down spanner and then bond it back in place with structural adhesive or JB Weld. Oh and don't do the speedo cable gland nut up so tight ;)

Regards Mick
Taid

Post by Taid »

Mick D wrote:
Taid wrote:Job for tomorrow ..
Hi

Oh and don't do the speedo cable gland nut up so tight ;)

Regards Mick

HMMM.. pity someone didn't tell a PO that ..
___

Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Taid wrote:HMMM.. pity someone didn't tell a PO that ..
We're all PO's in the making - not fixing it now confers ownership when it moves on ;) ;) :) :)
Taid

Post by Taid »

Mick D wrote:
Taid wrote:HMMM.. pity someone didn't tell a PO that ..
We're all PO's in the making - not fixing it now confers ownership when it moves on ;) ;) :) :)

So true M ..

I've tried to leave everything better if possible .. The one thing that has me beaten at the moment is the rear saddle fixings .. I've got a fair bit of electrics under the seat, and removing the saddle to at at them is a pain .. want to put some kind of captive nut, but not sure of best way. .. to thread the existing hole would mean using bigger diameter bolts and therefore bigger holes in the saddle .. current thinking is drill and tap the existing holes and fit threaded bushes of some kind
___

ianw1

Post by ianw1 »

If you could put a Helicoil in could you use the same bolts?
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Taid wrote:want to put some kind of captive nut, but not sure of best way.
Hi

Think outside of the box and in a way that doesn't affect the surrounding design.

In this case, weld the nuts to finger plates that can be used to hold the nuts during installation and hidden behind the frame when fully torqued.

Just a thought - I don't struggle with them but then, I have a good selection of tools, (masking tape over the ring end of a combination spanner works for me).

Regards Mick
Taid

Post by Taid »

ianw1 wrote:If you could put a Helicoil in could you use the same bolts?
not sure there is enough thickness of metal for helicoils to work .. maybe a rivnut, but possible too thick for those .. must look up specs ..

MickD wrote:Think outside of the box and in a way that doesn't affect the surrounding design.

In this case, weld the nuts to finger plates that can be used to hold the nuts during installation and hidden behind the frame when fully torqued.

Just a thought - I don't struggle with them but then, I have a good selection of tools, (masking tape over the ring end of a combination spanner works for me).

Regards Mick
Iv'e tried various ways with little success .. The best way I've found (for me) has been to take out the top bolt of the jampot and ease it back (one at a time) while I get at the nut .. but not really practical in the long term ..

Continue looking and fiddling .. T
___