front wheel

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
rodb

front wheel

Post by rodb »

I have got to front wheel in the rebuild and I have two pairs of wheels.
The first pair is I believe the oldest original front with taper roller bearings and a 7" brake drum .The brake component is a internal twin leading shoe (it looks exactly like a single leading shoe from the outside)

The other pair the front is an 8" brake drum and a twin leading shoe , the bearings are ordinary ball races, this combination looks by far the better stopper. Would this wheel be a Norton front wheel?
The problem is when fitted to my bike the brake cover plate does not line up with the anchorage and it seems to want to to be twisted back anti clockwise , could this be not the correct or for this brake assembly could the front forks be wrong.

Cheers rodb
clive

Re: front wheel

Post by clive »

Rodb its difficult to answer your questions without knowing model and year....
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi

To my, limited knowledge, AMC never incorporated a TLS brake into a production bike, therefore it would help if you posted photos of your hubs and brakes.

Regards Mick
Reynard24

Post by Reynard24 »

Unlikely to be a Norton wheel as the brake plate anchor locates on a lug on the slider on the offside of the bike. If it was a Norton wheel then the Commando twin leading shoe brake plate fits straight in with no modification although this was of course not an AMC bike. I believe some have used Suzuki wheels with a TLS set-up but as Mick D suggests, photos would help.