1952 Matchless 350

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
Peggy Butcher.

1952 Matchless 350

Post by Peggy Butcher. »

I am a part-time freelance writer/photographer, senior citizen! In 1952 I travelled pillion on a Matchless 350 - can you show me which of your gallery pictures would be nearest the machine I mention please? Can you tell me how much petrol cost in those days, and how many miles to the gallon this lovely machine could do? We went through France, Italy, Switzerland and back home via Paris and Dieppe - lovely memories. I belong to the Bournemouth & Poole Preservation Club who save anything from matchboxes and buttons to Steam Engines, and we have a car and motorbike section too. I would like to write an article about this holiday for their December newsletter - your pictures would not be used without permission.
Please can anyone help? Thank you.
Rohan B.

1952 Matchless 350

Post by Rohan B. »

Peggy,
Sounds like happy memories !!

The bike that is probably like the one you rode is http://www.jampot.com/GalleryImage.asp?imgno=5
This bike has rear suspension (springing). There is also a version that does not, although looks somewhat similar, bit rougher to ride on.

I can't help with the price of petrol then (before my time, long way away, probably a shilling a gallon or thereabouts ?? The AA may know ) but a 350 should have given between 60 and 80 mpg on tour. Depends a little on how fast you toured, how much gear you had, and if you both enjoyed too many french pastries !!! Ah, tres bon..

hopethishelps,
Rohan.
RogerNorman

1952 Matchless 350

Post by RogerNorman »

2nd Row first on left is a '52 G3LS. My AJS equivelant used to do 75 to 80 to the gallon if you were sensible. As for prices - sorry can't help