Feridax Locking throttle

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
Stan Palmer

Feridax Locking throttle

Post by Stan Palmer »

Is it possible to obtain a replacement key for these old throttles ? The locking facility would be useful but mainly I want to use it as it has a lovely solid feel compared to modern replacements. It's the type with the cam shaped grip.
Stan
GSAX1

Feridax Locking throttle

Post by GSAX1 »

Isn't it easy to "bypass" the locking throttle by pulling the throttle wire? Just curious...
Stan Palmer

Feridax Locking throttle

Post by Stan Palmer »

It would be possible to do that, sometimes had to ride trials bikes back to base doing just that. But those locking throttles were used in the days when no bikes had deterrents so if somebody wanted to nick one to ride home they would avoid a protected one and just go on to the next bike. Usually you would find them not too many streets away. My dad had a very highly tuned bantam for a while, no kickstart and an absolute sod to bump unless you had the nack, one night two lads took it, we found them in the next street exhausted from pushing it up and down the road ! Threat of a battering got rid of them and kept the bike safe for a while.
It's another example of how times change, I used to leave my 350 ex-works trials matchless outside work in Battersea every day, all it needed to get away was the petrol turned on, yet there was never a problem. Imagine if you did that now.
Stan
alanjennings

Feridax Locking throttle

Post by alanjennings »

Stan, a friend of mine bought some nice 2nd hand panniers-keyless-a trip to our friendly locksmith sorted it out-cost fifteen quid to "do" 2 licks.
Alan [Morini] Jennings
Mick D

Re: Feridax Locking throttle

Post by Mick D »

Hi

I appreciate this is a very old thread, but to close it off:

The three digit key codes for Feridax throttles are stamped into the lower handlebar clamp. The throttles used Union keys prefixed 'FA', (501 - 625), and 'FP', (626 - 750).

I've just sourced a new key online and it works fine, so the throttle will soon be united with the bike it was on 45 years ago :o :o

It's ironic that the cost of one replacement key is around three times the cost of the throttle when I bought it :roll: :)

Regards Mick
Stan Palmer

Re: Feridax Locking throttle

Post by Stan Palmer »

Mick, an old thread as you say. I found the number you refer to and bought three keys on line at the time for about £6. One got lost with my car keys (car key was over £100), one went with the bike and the last disappeared. So your one key is just as good !
Stan