oke 184

Where is that old bike?
hdawson

Re: oke 184

Post by hdawson »

Hi all.
Thanks for your replies.
I will try to send more photos Andy but I will have to find a 14 year old.
Impressive resto mate. When did you finish it? It's very interesting that the rego number matches.
There is a dealer plate on the rear guard that reads "supplied by Arter Bros. LTD Barham" and the red tank has a "Super Clubman" transfer that seems
quite old. With the old tax disc I assumed it was quite original but I am probably naive as I don't know why anyone would go to such an effort.
It's a beautiful bike to own and ride and I have yet to see another of it's kind in this part of the world.
moley

Post by moley »

HI, yes I think my father and I restored it 2011/2012. Yes I remember the arter bros decal badge, it looked terrible when we purchased it and the engine was locked up, but when we pulled the engine apart everything had been done ie reground, new bearings, new camshafts and followers, the chap I purchased it from told us his father had obtained a lot of new old stock parts for it. It has wire wound pistons in it. I sold to a dealer and he told me he had sold it to a dealer in Australia. The Tank is India'n and not original as it was not viable to have the original rechromed. The Number Plate is quite rare here in the UK and was only used on Matchless for about a year !

Was the restorations photos passed on with the bike , if not, I still have loads and more pre restoration as well.

Cheers

Andy
hdawson

Post by hdawson »

Thanks for your reply Andy. I am still in shock to get such a quick reply. I would love to have any and all photos you have for my archive. I will send you some when I can.
I have a few issues that you may be able to address.
The primary chain case leaks like mad. Do you know of the best seal to use as I have tried all that I could find without success. I definitely need a new metal band but at the moment I am holding back the tide with heaps of silicone.
Also the ancient pre monobloc, while initially very good, now spits and coughs and fouls the plugs with carbon.
Any tips would be greatly appreciated. Cheers
clive

Post by clive »

Try the new club chaincase seal, it is supposed to be very good and was not available when the bike was restored.

018652AD SEAL FOR TIN CHAINCASE. ALTERNATIVE DESIGN

Seal, tin chaincase - improved design.
Alternative to 018652

Price : £5.61 each Other currencies

Price incl. tax : £6.73 Other currencies

Stock : Available

The club also sells new monoblocs and the metal chaincase bands however it Sounds like you may need to adjust the air flow on the pilot jet.

(Advertising allowed as it is for club spares scheme :rofl: )
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
hdawson

Post by hdawson »

Thanks Clive. I will order that new seal and metal band.
Adjust air flow on pilot jet? Too rich? Could it be that simple?
moley

Post by moley »

hi, Are you sure the oil coming from the primary is not because it has " Wet Sumped ", I always put on those better seals on the primary but it will pee out in the primary cases if it has wet sumped. It's a shame if you need to replace the metal band because I can see it is an original with a brass connector.

Have you drained the sump ?

I will have a look on my computer about the photos and be in touch.

Kind Regards

Andy Deeprose
moley

Post by moley »

HI, i found some info on OKE when i was selling it, thought it might be useful..andy

V5 AND OLD BUFF LOGBOOK ( WHICH IS IN IMMACULATE CONDITION ) SHOWS TWO OWNERS. IT WAS LAST TAXED IN 1961 AND WE HAVE 6 ORIGINAL TAX DISCS. THIS BIKE WAS DISPATCHED FROM THE FACTORY TO “ ARTER BROS LTD ” OF BARHAM, KENT ( THIS DEALERSHIP WAS WELL KNOWN FOR RACING MATCHLESS AND AJS MACHINES ) AND THE BIKE STILL BEARS THAT ORIGINAL DEALERS BADGE. THE FRAME AND ENGINE NUMBERS ARE THE ORIGINALS AS PER IT LEFT THE FACTORY IN 1951.

WE PURCHASED THE BIKE FROM THE SECOND OWNERS CHILDREN AND THEY REMEMBER THEIR FATHER PURCHASING THE BIKE IN BITS AND THEY HAVE NEVER SEEN THE BIKE ALL TOGETHER. THEIR FATHER HAD PURCHASED SOME NEW OLD STOCK PARTS FOR THE BIKE BUT NEVER QUITE MANAGED TO PUT IT BACK TOGETHER AGAIN.

WE HAVE COMPLETED THE RESTORATION AND I LIST SOME OF THE WORK THAT WE OR THE SECOND OWNER HAS CARRIED OUT ( THIS IS NOT A COMPLETE LIST BUT ONLY WHAT WE CAN RECALL )

REGROUND CRANKSHAFT, BIG ENDS ARE ON -10 AND CENTRE WEB IS ON -10, NEW CAMSHAFTS, NEW CAMSHAFT FOLLOWERS, NEW CAMSHAFT BUSHES. NEW OLD STOCK BARRELLS FITTED WITH ORIGINAL STANDARD HEPOLITE WIRE WOUND PISTONS.

RECONDITION MAGNETO BY TONY COOPER, THE DYNAMO WAS FOUND TO BE IN VERY GOOD ORDER AND A SERVICE WAS SUFFICENT, IT IS USED IN CONJUNCTION WITH A NEW ELECTRONIC REGULATOR AND THE BIKE HAS BEEN REWIRED.

THE SECOND OWNER PURCHASED AND FITTED MANY NEW PARTS FOR THE GEARBOX, THE ORIGINAL KICKSTART LEVER HAS BEEN RECHROMED.

NEW EXHAUST SYSTEMWITH CORRECT MEGAPHONES SILENCERS, RECONDITIONED CHRONOMETRIC SPEEDOMETER, ALL NEW CABLES

ALL PARTS STOVE ENAMELLED, CHROME PETROL TANK PAINTED IN THE CORRECT “ ALDWYCH RED” COLOUR AND LINED IN SILVER, CORRECT M BADGES

NEW QUALITY PRIMARY AND REAR CHAINS.

HUBS STOVED, WHEELS REBUILT WITH BRITISH CHROME RIMS, WHICH THE CENTRES HAVE BEEN PAINTED IN THE CORRECT “ALDWYCH RED” THEN LINED IN SILVER . THE FRONT BRAKEPLATE WAS NEW OLD STOCK HAS BEEN RECHROMED, NEW OLD STOCK BRAKE LININGS HAS BEEN USED.

FORKS AND JAMPOTS HAVE BEEN RECONDITIONED USING NEW PARTS AS NECESSARY

PLENTY OF INVOICES FOR PARTS THAT WE HAVE PURCHASED AND A PHOTOGRAPHIC HISTORY OF THE REBUILD.

THE MATCHLESS IS ALL CORRECT FOR 1951 AND I WOULD POINT OUT :-

1. VERY RARE LUCAS REAR LIGHT 467/2 MC – ONLY USED ON MATCHLESS FOR 18 MONTHS.
2. CORRECT ENGINE, FRAME, GEARBOX NUMBERS AND DOCUMENTS TO PROVE
3. CORRECT EARLY TYPR JAMPOTS
4. CORRECT FOUR BOLT ROCKER COVERS
5. CORRECT SIDE AND CENTRE STAND WITH THE HOOK.
6. CORRECT MUDGUARDS INCLUDING HINGED REAR.
7. CORRECT PRIMARY COVER AND ORIGINAL BAND ( BRASS CLIPS )
8. CORRECT SIDE FLOAT CARBRETTER
hdawson

Post by hdawson »

Hi Andy,
Quite a list. Very comprehensive.
I seem to have acquired a real gem.
Great job.
Any documents I would love to have,
Obviously at my expense.
Let me know if you're happy to part with them.
Best Regards,
Hadrian.
moley

Post by moley »

Hi mate, I have posted a dvd with some photos on to you. All the best andy
Expat

Post by Expat »

Hadrian, please excuse me hijacking here, but I read this post with interest and just wanted to ask Andy if he is related to the Deeprose family who operated the South London bike shop.

BTW, the bike looks bonzer!

Steve
Keep shiny side up.

These are my principles, if you don’t like them, I have others. (Groucho Marx)