415 YTF

Where is that old bike?
ian saunders

415 YTF

Post by ian saunders »

I am trying to trace 415 YTF which is an AJS 18S. (1962). Shown on DVLA Website as taxed & tested - so still out there somewhere. I owned the bike in the early 80s and am trying to trace it out of interest and to give the current owner some history on the bike. I sold it in Bolton in (I think 1985).
07979957740 Ian
bruv

Re: 415 YTF

Post by bruv »

Dear Ian,

I'm very sorry, but I can't help you with the whereabouts of your bike. However, I wish you well with your search.

The reason for my reply is that I own 414 YTF !!. The bike is a 1962 AJS "Model 14S" 250cc and it's still on the road and very much alive. I bought it as a completely derelict "basket case" from a guy in Plymouth (U.K.) in 1976. He wanted the money to tax his Gold Star and get back on the road !

It may be the case that the 2 bikes were registered at the same time and probably came from the same dealership. I would be most grateful to hear of any news you may have on the early history of the bikes. I'm sorry that I can't be of more help with your search. Perhaps this little lot can put a piece in the jigsaw.

Kind regards, Safe riding, Bruv. 01822 834774.
poplargreg

Post by poplargreg »

I used to own an AJS 500 in the 70s, that I found was still taxed and thought it might be a good idea to trace the owner if possible to exchange history and photos.

The DVLA will only give details of the present owner if involved in an accident. You use form v888 (download from the website and print) for this.
However, it also allows you to apply for the address if you have another good reason to. I tried this and found curiosity not to be a good enough reason!

I made another attempt, making a better case and enclosed a stamped, unsealed envelope containing a letter to the present owner inviting him to get in touch. I asked DVLA if they would seal and forward it. There is a small fee (£5 I think) to be paid.

It worked, and I had a letter and photos a couple of weeks later from the owner. Sod's law, he had just sold it to a friend. If I'd been a bit faster, I'd have made a bid for it!

With DVLA, I think it depends somewhat on who deals with it on the day, so if no luck, it would be worth trying again.
Good luck!
ian saunders

Post by ian saunders »

Thanks for your replies. I tried contacting the DVLA, with the relevant form and covering letter, but they would not give me any information. I then tried the same as you poplargreg, writing to the DVLA asking them to forward a letter which I wrote to the present owner enclosing an sae for their reply. However, I heard nothing.
poplargreg

Post by poplargreg »

ian saunders wrote:Thanks for your replies. I tried contacting the DVLA, with the relevant form and covering letter, but they would not give me any information. I then tried the same as you poplargreg, writing to the DVLA asking them to forward a letter which I wrote to the present owner enclosing an sae for their reply. However, I heard nothing.
How long ago? they did not contact me, the first thing I heard was when a letter from the present owner arrived.

Did you pay the £5? If they get that, they have to do something in return, either pass your request on or reply "computer says no"
ian saunders

Post by ian saunders »

Hi Poplargreg. I contacted DVLA in 2015, but I can't remember if I sent a fee. Where did you find out what fee was required?
poplargreg

Post by poplargreg »

Either on the form or the DVLA website. I'm pretty sure it was a fiver when I did it 5 or so years ago. They won't do anything without payment.