About my bike AJS 350 16MS (1953)

Where is that old bike?
JMO AJS 350

About my bike AJS 350 16MS (1953)

Post by JMO AJS 350 »

Hello,

Well He took me ages to decide to join this forum...I didn't know it was existing, I didn't either search for it.
I do have an old bike (is that so old?) an AJS 350 16MS 1953 that I bought in Belgium years ago in a very poor condition. Almost a wreck. That was in the eighties and start restoring the bike bit by bit. So after around ten year I achieved the work and stored it for quite a longtime due to my professional absence.
The bike is in good condition now and I have to complete the job.
Mr Gardner from Ottignies in Belgium helped me a lot through it.
I drove the bike a couple of time and it seems to run alright except to start it. After been searching for the reason it appear that the problem come from the magneto...I have heard about electronic system to avoid problem like this.
My question: What do you think I should be doing or looking at? Do you have an address here around my place where I could gather information or help to solve the problem and being able to run it without trouble.
Thank's to all of you.

JMO

Ps: I have no idea how to place a photo of my bike...
Rob Harknett

Re: About my bike AJS 350 16MS (1953)

Post by Rob Harknett »

If you are getting a spark the old mags. will start the bike first kick if everything is set up OK. You need a good new plug. Cleaning plugs will damage them and they will contaminate very quickly. ( Unless you have an old plug made before the 1970's when the central electrode porcelain was glazed. )
alanengineer

Post by alanengineer »

Have you got your starting technique right. What do you do to get the bike running
JMO AJS 350

Post by JMO AJS 350 »

Rob Harknett wrote:If you are getting a spark the old mags. will start the bike first kick if everything is set up OK. You need a good new plug. Cleaning plugs will damage them and they will contaminate very quickly. ( Unless you have an old plug made before the 1970's when the central electrode porcelain was glazed. )
Hi Rob, Yes I do have a good spark or should I said I had...I have been through all things like setting it right and trying hard. But yes I might not have the right spark-plug now.
The reason why I am more thinking of a mag prob is that after riding it for a little while the problem appears and it make me think of a mag problem who does get too hot and stop working properly. It's become very difficult to restart it even have to go back home on my truck...
Anyway what would do advise me to get as a new spark-plug? I don't know much about this bike but I just love it. I have to learn few things and I think getting it running it nicely would be a good start. I can't see other problem as I have rebuilt it completely but...who knows!
Thank's for help and answer.
JMO AJS 350

Post by JMO AJS 350 »

alanengineer wrote:Have you got your starting technique right. What do you do to get the bike running
Kicking! Hello Alan, yes I must admit that from time to time I have to do the "moulinette" to get it turning fast using the decomp and release it after a couple of kicking shot. And it start! That's make it easy but it's not the best think to do it I know.
Also if what you want to know is if I am using the advance trottle (???) Yes but not to sure to do it right. Like I said I have a lot to learn about this bike.
Thank's for helping.
saltbox alf
Deceased

Post by saltbox alf »

Bjr John, yes it could a problem with the magneto. Have a look here for information and help http://www.brightsparkmagnetos.com/
the site is in French also.

Oui, c'est possible, il y a un error avec la magneto. Voir ici pour conseil et aide http://www.brightsparkmagnetos.com/ la site du web et en Francaise aussi.
Allons-y, amis de Matchless et AJS
JMO AJS 350

Post by JMO AJS 350 »

Thank you for the site. Very interesting indeed. I'll contact them and see to get mine restored. Have you heard about the electronic system to place inside the body frame of a original magneto? Anyway I'll start with that and will see if the problem's still there.
I have some good friends near Carcassonne (Caunes, Peyriac and others near Narbonne...).
Thank's again.

JMO
robcurrie

Post by robcurrie »

JMO, have a look at "Thorspark" ignition, it fits inside the magneto in place of the points.

Rob C
JMO AJS 350

Post by JMO AJS 350 »

Hi Rob, Yes I've heard about this Thorspark thing and wasn't to sure if that was alright to fit on my old bike. It seems to be the case!
So I am going to send a email to the Sussex company and get more about this system.
Thank you for your message.
Cheers

JMO